Appendix 3: Leaders'/Managers' Code of Personal Governance
As an NHSScotland Leader/Manager I will:
Pursue service excellence by:
- Ensuring patients'/clients' needs are at the centre of decision-making;
- Seeking to protect patients/clients and staff from clinical and environmental risk;
- Encouraging service excellence and supporting changes to make this a reality.
Act with integrity and honesty by:
- Communicating with openness and honesty in all matters including handling complaints and giving feedback to staff;
- Ensuring confidential and constructive communication;
- Managing resources and financial risk effectively and efficiently;
- Ensuring personal integrity and honesty at all times;
- Seeking to protect patients/clients and NHS resources from fraud, inducements and corruption.
Account for my own and my team's performance by:
- Taking responsibility for my own and my team's performance;
- Complying with all statutory requirements;
- Providing appropriate explanations on performance;
- Acting on suggestions/requirements for improving performance;
- Supporting the Accountable Office of my organisation in his/her responsibilities.
Engage appropriately with others in decision-making by:
- Ensuring that patients, the public, staff and partner organisations are able to influence decision-making in relation to NHS services;
- Supporting effective and informed decision-making by patients about their own care;
- Seeking out the views of others and building mutual understanding;
- Ensuring clarity and consistency in relation to dual accountability.
Develop my team and myself by:
- Building and developing effective teams, supported by appropriate leadership;
- Instilling trust and giving freedom to staff/partners to make decisions within authority;
- Being aware of and taking responsibility for my behaviour and continuous personal development as a NHS leader/manager, to ensure my fitness for purpose.
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback