Click 'Accept all cookies' to agree to all cookies that collect anonymous data.
To only allow the cookies that make the site work, click 'Use essential cookies only.' Visit 'Set cookie preferences' to control specific cookies.
1. This Construction Policy Note (CPN) provides advance publication of further elements of the project initiation and business case handbook. This is handbook one and forms part of the new construction manual. It includes guidance on business cases, stakeholder engagement and risk.
2. New guidance is available to assist contracting authorities successfully deliver construction projects.
3. This note is intended for all those contracting authority staff involved in the planning and delivery of public works projects.
4. This note publishes the project initiation and business case handbook (handbook one) of the construction manual. It covers the following specific areas:
Chapter 3 – Client team roles and responsibilities
Chapter 4 – Business cases and appraisal
Chapter 5 – Project initiation route map
Chapter 6 – Stakeholder engagement
Chapter 7 – Risk
Chapter 8 – Community benefits
Chapter 9 – Fair payment
Chapter 10 – Project bank accounts
Chapter 11 – Whole life costs
Chapter 12 - BIM
Chapter 13 - Project assurance
Chapter 14 - Quality assurance
5. Chapters 1 and 2 of the project initiation and business case handbookwere published in CPN 2/2019. Further information and handbook two of the construction manual are available on the Construction Procurement webpages.
6. Please bring this Construction Procurement Note to the attention of all those staff involved in the procurement or delivery of construction activities.