Annex C: References
1. National Health Service (General Ophthalmic Services)
(Scotland) Regulations 2006.
Available at: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ssi/2006/135/contents/made
2. Scottish Government (2011) 2020 Vision.
Available at: http://www.gov.scot/Topics/Health/Policy/2020-Vision
NHS Digital -
4. Scottish Government (2016), Chief Medical Officer's Annual
Report 2014-15, Realistic Medicine.
5. College of Optometrists, (2016) See the Gap: A Policy report
UK eye health
6. Scottish Government (2016) A National Clinical Strategy for
Available at: www.gov.scot/Resource/0049/00494144.pdf
7. Scottish Government (2016) Modern Outpatient Programme.
Available at: http://www.gov.scot/Publications/2016/12/2376
8. Scottish Government (2016) Health and Social Care Delivery
Available at: http://www.gov.scot/Resource/0051/00511950.pdf
9. Mid Staffordshire
Trust (2013). Report of the Mid Staffordshire
Trust Public Enquiry (Chaired by Robert Francis
Available at: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/report-of-the-mid-staffordshire-nhs-foundation-trust-public-inquiry
10. Association of Optometrists (2016) Optom found guilty of
Gross Negligence Manslaughter. (15 July)
11. Health Improvement Scotland (2015) Glaucoma referral and safe discharge. SIGN Guideline No.144, ISBN 978 1 909103 36 8
12. Scottish Government (2016). National Performance Framework
Available at: http://www.gov.scot/Resource/0049/00497339.pdf
13. National Records of Scotland (2015). Projected Population of
Scotland (2014-based). National Population Projections by sex and
14. Scottish Eyecare Group (2013) Capacity in Ophthalmology
15. World Health Organisation (2007) 2020 Vision: The Right to
Available at: http://www.who.int/blindness/Vision2020_report.pdf
16. National Health Service (General Ophthalmic Services)
(Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2010.
Available at: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ssi/2010/86/schedule/1/made
17. Emmerson, E; Baines, S (2010). Health Inequalities and
People with Learning Disabilities in the
UK. Department of Health,
18. SeeAbility (2015) An equal right to sight, Why eye care for
children with learning disabilities needs reform.
Available at: https://www.seeability.org/who-we-are/media-centre/research/an-equal-right-to-sight
19. Carvill, S. (2001), Sensory impairments, intellectual disability and psychiatry. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research, 45: 467-483. doi:10.1046/j.1365-2788.2001.00366.x
20. Autism Scotland - Eyecare pathways
21. NHS Ayrshire and Arran (2014) Sensory Locality Plan 2014 -2024.
22. NHS Education for Scotland and RNIB Scotland (2016). Better testing for patients with complex needs (modules 1 and 2), NES Portal.
23. NHS England (2016) The National Health Service (Charges And Payments) (Uprating, Miscellaneous Amendments And Transitional Provision) Regulations 2016
2016 no. 325, London.
24. SeeAbility (2016) Delivering an Equal Right to Sight.
Available at: https://www.seeability.org/our-services/advisory-services/campaigning-for-an-equal-right-to-sight
25. General Optical Council (1984). The Sale of Optical
Appliances, Order of Council.
Available at: https://www.optical.org/en/about_us/legislation/rules_and_regulations.cfm
26. National Records of Scotland (2011). Scotland's Census.
27. Centre on Dynamics of Ethnicity (2014). Geographies of deprivation and diversity in Glasgow, Local Dynamics of Diversity: Evidence from the 2011 Census, University of Manchester. Nov.
Glasgow & Clyde and
Scotland (2011). Glasgow Eye Health Community Engagement Project,
Eye Health Equity Profile. Glasgow.
29. Evans, J.R., Lawrenson, J.G. (2012) Cochrane Review:
Antioxidant vitamin and mineral supplements for slowing the
progression of age-related macular degeneration
Available at: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD000254.pub3/full
30. Scottish Government (2016). Health Statistics - Obesity.
Available at: http://www.gov.scot/Topics/Statistics/Browse/Health/TrendObesity
31. Hannerz, J. and Ericson, K. (2009), The Relationship Between Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension and Obesity. Headache: The Journal of Head and Face Pain, 49: 178-184. doi:10.1111/j.1526-4610.2008.01240.x
32. Scottish Executive (2003) Diabetic Retinopathy Screening
Available at: http://www.ndrs-wp.scot.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/HDL2003-Retinal-
33. Healthcare Improvement Scotland (2016) Diabetic Retinopathy
Available at: http://www.ndrs-wp.scot.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/DRS_STANF_JUN2016.pdf
33. Dickey, H., Ikenwilo, D., Nowood, P., Watson, V. and Zangelidis, A. (2012) Utilisation of eye-care services: The effect of Scotland's free eye examination policy. Health Policy, 2012-12-01, Volume 108, Issue 2, Pages 286-293
34. Leamon S, Hayden C, Lee H, Trudinger D, Appelbee E, Hurrell D -L, Richardson I. Improving access to optometry services for people risk of preventable sight loss: a qualitative study in five UK locations. J Pub Health (2014) 36 (4) 667-673
35. Legge R, Strang N C, Loffler G. (2016) Distribution of Optometric Practices Relative to Deprivation Index in Scotland. (in press)
36. Low L, O'Colmain U, Ogston S, MacEwen C. Accessibility of High Street Optometry premises in Tayside Br J Ophthalmol (2013); 97:1216-1217
38. Ritchie, L (2016). National Review of Primary Care
Available at: http://www.gov.scot/Topics/Health/Services/nrpcooh
39. Shickle, D., Davey,C.J.,Slade,S.V. (2014) Why is the General Ophthalmic Services ( GOS) Contract that underpins primary eye care in the UK contrary to the public health interest? Br J Ophthalmol 99 (7) p 888-892
40. Court, H, McLean, G, Guthrie B, Mercer S W, Smith D. Visual Impairment is associated with physical and mental comorbidities in older adults: a cross sectional study. BMC Med (2014) (12) 181
41. Thomas Pocklington Trust (2010) Social inclusion, social
circumstances and the quality of life of visually impaired older
42. Access Economics (2009) Future Sight Loss
UK 1. Economic Impact of
Partial Sight and Blindness in the
UK adult population,
Available at: https://www.rnib.org.uk/sites/default/files/FSUK_Report.pdf
(2010). The cost of sight loss in Scotland: 2010 - 2020.
44. Scottish Government (2010) Registered Blind and Partially
Sighted Persons; A national Statistics Publication
Available at: http://www.gov.scot/Publications/2010/10/26094945/11
45. Court, H., Mitchell, G. (2017). Evaluating the provision of low vision care in Scotland (awaiting publication).
46. Royal College of Ophthalmologists and College of
Optometrists. Sharing patient information between healthcare
professionals - a joint statement (2015)
47. Scottish Government (2014) See Hear: A strategic framework
for meeting the needs of people with a sensory impairment in
Available at: http://www.gov.scot/Resource/0044/00448444.pdf
48. National Services Scotland, Ophthalmic workload statistics
(2016), Information Services Division.
49. Community Pharmacy Scotland and Optometry Scotland (2012) -
Available at: http://www.communitypharmacyscotland.org.uk/nhs-care-services/services/optometry-referral/
50. National Services Scotland, Acute Surgical Speciality Costs
(2010) Eye care Integration.
Available at: http://www.eyecareintegration.scot.nhs.uk/
52. Khan, A.A.; Mustafa, M.Z., Sanders, R. (2015) Improving patient access to prevent sight loss: ophthalmic electronic referrals and communication (Scotland). Public Health , Volume 129 , Issue 2 , 117 - 123
53. General Optical Council, Public Perceptions Survey, Final
Report. (2016) June
GOC, Risks in
the Optical Profession, Final Report. A report for the General
Optical Council by Europe Economics, London. (2012).
Available at: https://www.optical.org/en/get-involved/Council_meetings_and_papers/july-2016.cfm
54. NHS Lanarkshire (2011) Eye-Health Network Service ( LENS) Patient Satisfaction Survey
55. NHS Lanarkshire (2013) Eye-Health Network Service ( LENS) Patient Satisfaction Survey
56. NHS Lanarkshire (2013) Lanarkshire Eye-health Network Service ( LENS) Patient Satisfaction Survey 2013.
57. Health Improvement Scotland. Service Review of
NHS Grampian Eye
Health Network (2014)
for Scotland (2017) Optometry in Scotland. Education and Workforce.
Available at: http://www.nes.scot.nhs.uk/media/2427887/nes_optometry_ed_wf_report_2013.pdf
59. General Optical Council, Annual Report, Annual Fitness to
Practice Report and Financial Statements for the year ended 31
March 2015. (2015)
60. Opticians Act (1989)
Available at: https://www.optical.org/en/about_us/legislation/opticians_act.cfm
61. 2020 Health, Foresight Project Report: A discussion of the
potential impact of technology on the
UK optical sector to 2030
for Scotland (2016). Leadership and Management Training for
63. Europe Economics (2012). Risks in the Optical Profession,
64. General Medical Council (2015). Secondary Care Locums
Email: Liam Kearney
Phone: 0300 244 4000 – Central Enquiry Unit
The Scottish Government
St Andrew's House