Continuing and welfare attorneys: code of practice

Guidance for people who grant powers of attorney, or people who are appointed as attorneys under the Adults with Incapacity (Scotland) Act 2000.

This document is part of a collection

Annex 2 - Useful Addresses

Office of the Public Guardian (Scotland)
Hadrian House
Callendar Business Park
Callendar Road
Falkirk FK1 1XR

Enquiry line: 01324 678300

For information and advice about matters covered by the Act. The OPG's focus is primarily on financial matters. If they cannot assist directly with queries on other matters relating to adults with incapacity ( e.g. welfare, health, care) they will point you to other agencies who will be able to help. The OPG does not provide legal advice. All OPG publications, including forms and guidance notes can be downloaded. Hard copies are available on request.

Mental Welfare Commission for Scotland
Thistle House
91 Haymarket Terrace
EH12 5HE

Helpline: 0800 389 6809 (service users & carers only)
Helpline: 0131 313 8777 (professionals)

The Commission provides advice on welfare matters in relation to AWI and free good practice guides – see website for further information.

Scottish Government
Justice Directorate
Area GW.15
St Andrew's House
Regent Road

Enquiry line: 0131 244 3581

Adults with Incapacity Act Codes of Practice and other publications are listed on, and can be downloaded from, the website. Information about obtaining hard copies of these documents is available on the website or by calling 0131‑244 3581.

Local Authority

To contact your local authority on matters relating to welfare/personal care issues and the Act you should ask for the social work department or community services department at the local council offices in the area where the adult lives. Local authority addresses can be found online or in the phone book.

Sheriff Courts

The address and telephone number of the local sheriff court where the adult lives can be found on the Scottish Courts website, or in the phone book.

Department for Work and Pensions

You will find useful information and guidance for disabled people and carers on the Department for Work and Pensions website – From the local authority you can also get details of the local welfare rights office that will give you advice and help with benefits.

Care Inspectorate
Compass House
11 Riverside Drive

Enquiry line: 0345 600 9527

The Care Inspectorate is an independent body which regulates care services in Scotland. It inspects and investigates complaints in relation to care homes; short break/respite care services; housing support; adult placement schemes; support services; care at home; nursing agencies; and hospice care. There are national care standards for all these services.

Law Society of Scotland
Atria One
144 Morrison Street

Enquiry line: 0131 226 7411

The Law Society is the governing body for solicitors. It provides information to the public on where to find and what to expect from solicitors.

Scottish Legal Aid Board
Thistle House
91 Haymarket Terrace
EH12 6BB

0131 226 7061
Legal Aid Helpline: 0845 122 8686

Provides advice and information on entitlement to legal aid.

Citizens Advice Bureau – you will find the address of your nearest CAB in your phone book or at the website of Citizens Advice Scotland

Scottish Independent Advocacy Alliance
Mansfield Traquair Centre
15 Mansfield Place

Enquiry line: 0131 524 1975

This website will provide information to find an advocacy organisation in your local authority area.

Alzheimer Scotland – Action on Dementia
160 Dundee Street
EH11 1DQ

Office: 0131 243 1453
Freephone 24hr Dementia Helpline: 0808 808 3000

Provides a free guide for carers and people with dementia in Scotland: 'Dementia: Money and Legal Matters'. The website also provides information about the different kinds of powers of attorney and how to set them up.

ENABLE Scotland
3 Renshaw Place
North Lanarkshire

Enquiry line: 01698 737000

Supports people with learning disabilities of all ages by campaigning, providing information, legal advice, training and other services.

Capability Scotland - Advice Service
Osborne House
1 Osborne Terrace
EH12 5HG

Enquiry line: 0131 337 9876

Provides advice and information and local services for people with a range of disabilities, their families and carers.

Scottish Association for Mental Health
Brunswick House
51 Wilson Street
G1 1UZ

Enquiry line: 0141 530 1000

Provides information, legal advice and support to people with mental health issues.

SENSE Scotland
43 Middlesex Street
Kinning Park
G41 1EE

Enquiry line: 0300 330 9292

Works with children and adults who have communication support needs because of deafblindness, sensory impairment, learning and physical disabilities.

Head Office
Springfield House
15/16 Springfield
University of Dundee

Enquiry line: 01382 385 154

PAMIS works with people with profound and multiple learning disabilities, their family, carers and professionals who support them.

Headway Scotland
Helpline: 0808 800 2244

Headway provides: support and help to people affected by brain injury through a network of local groups and branches; information and advice; carer support; and a range of services (which vary from area to area).

Chest, Heart and Stroke Scotland ( CHSS)
Third Floor
Rosebery House
9 Haymarket Terrace
EH12 5EZ

Adviceline: 0808 801 0899

CHSS aims to improve the quality of life for people affected by chest, heart and stoke illness through medical research, advice and information and support in the community.


Email: AdultsIncapacity

Back to top