Proposed changes to current guidance to standard 3.12.
It is proposed that a requirement for Changing Places Toilets in addition to the current sanitary provision is delivered by the introduction of the following new clause offering guidance on complying with standard 3.12 (sanitary facilities).
3.12.13 Changing Places Toilets
A Changing Places Toilet (CPT) provides sanitary facilities suitable for use by people that have profound and multiple learning disabilities or other conditions and for whom standard accessible sanitary facilities do not meet their needs. Accommodating such a facility within smaller buildings is often not proportionate and also may not be reasonably practicable. In recognition of this, provision of a CPT is sought in larger buildings to which members of the public have access.
A Changing Places Toilet (CPT) should be provided on construction of:
- a shopping centre/mall with a gross floor area of 30,000 m² or more;
- a single retail premises with a gross floor area of 10,000 m² or more;
- a place of entertainment or place of assembly with a capacity of 2,000 persons or more;
- a hospital;
- a secondary school providing community facilities; or
- a leisure centre or similar building containing a swimming pool.
Conversion or Extension
Where a Changing Places Toilet (CPT) is not already present within a building, one should be provided where a building in any of the above categories is created by conversion or where such a building is extended such that its gross floor area increases by 25% or more.
Provision of a CPT should be in addition to, not instead of, the provision of standard and accessible sanitary accommodation. A CPT should be located to provide easy access for users, taking into account factors such as security and payment barriers.
Layout and facilities
A CPT should provide adequate space to allow a user to be assisted by carers and be a minimum of 3 m wide by 4 m long, a door with a minimum clear opening width of 1 m and a minimum ceiling height of 2.4 m. Floor surfaces should have a non-slip finish.
It should include the following sanitary facilities and fixtures:
- a peninsular WC with space either side for the carers;
- a height adjustable wash hand basin;
- a ceiling-mounted tracking hoist;
- a height adjustable adult sized changing bench (minimum length 1.8 m);
- a retractable privacy screen; and
- within a building that includes other changing facilities for users, such as swimming pools/leisure centres, the provision of a wall-mounted shower and floor drainage.
1. Large power-assisted height-adjustable washbasin
2. Retractable privacy curtain/screen
3. Full room cover tracked hoist system
4. Peninsular WC
5. Alarm reset button
6. Vertical grab rail
7. Drop-down support rails
8. Flat-topped close-coupled cistern providing back rest and colostomy bag changing surface
9. Alarm pull cord
10. Height-adjustable showering/ changing bench
11. Floor drain
12. Shower unit with long-reach hose
13. Alarm pull cord
Further information to assist in the planning and delivery of a CPT can be found at the website of the Changing Places Consortium (www.changing-places.org) and within BS 8300-1: 2018.
Responding to the consultation
We welcome your views on the proposals above. Responses can me made online at https://consult.gov.scot/building-standards/changing-places-toilets
A copy of the Respondent Information Form and consultation questions are also provided in the next section of this document.
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback