Proposed 'No-blame' Redress Scheme
Legislation required to introduce the new scheme
Through the NHS Redress Bill Ministers will:
- Seek enabling powers to make compensation payments without the need to go through court processes;
- Establish a no-blame redress scheme and the systems and processes to support it;
- Seek regulatory powers to set and alter the scope, criteria and value of the cap on claims included (proposed at £100,000 at outset); and
- Seek regulatory powers to extend the scheme to independent contractors and private providers if considered appropriate in the future.
In addition, through the Bill, Ministers will seek to:
- Repeal Section 2(4) of the Personal Injuries Act 1948; and
- Place Periodic Payment Orders on a statutory footing.
Email: No-Blame Redress Scheme Team