Section 3: Next Steps
The Scottish Government is very grateful to all those who took the time to respond to this consultation. Overall the responses were positive about;
- Strengthening the maximum penalties for the most serious animal welfare offences.
- Eliminating the upper limit on fines in relation to unnecessary suffering or animal fighting offences.
- Strengthened legislation in regard to attacks on service animals.
- Eliminating the statutory time limit for prosecuting unnecessary suffering or animal fighting offences.
- The introduction of FPNs.
- Speeding up the process of making permanent arrangement for at risk animals taken into possession (and that this should apply to all animals, not just commercial animals) and that 3 weeks is a reasonable period before seized animals can be permanently rehomed.
Future legislation will take into account the views expressed in the consultation.