We want Scotland to be a place where people are healthier, happier and treated with respect, and where opportunities, wealth and power are spread more equally.
Cost of living crisis: find out what help is available
- are tackling child poverty by addressing the underlying causes of deprivation and improving the circumstances in which children grow up
- are working to create a social security system in Scotland based on dignity, fairness and respect
- have published our Fairer Scotland Action Plan to help tackle poverty, reduce inequality and build a fairer and more inclusive Scotland
- fund a range of organisations working to reduce poverty and promote social justice
- are taking action to help people manage funeral costs
- are taking action to tackle food poverty through the Fair Food Fund
- have established an independent Poverty and Inequality Commission to scrutinise what we are doing and advise on what more can be done
- have adopted the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals, which include ending poverty, ensuring access to education and achieving gender equality
- introduced the Fairer Scotland Duty on particular public bodies in Scotland to actively consider how they can reduce inequalities of outcome caused by socio-economic disadvantage, when making strategic decisions.
Fairer Scotland is our long-term initiative to create a fairer country. We are working with communities and learning from those with real experience of inequalities and poverty to shape our policies. Further information is available on the Fairer Scotland website.
Our ultimate aim is to break the intergenerational cycles of poverty, inequality and deprivation.
Further information about income and poverty is available from:
Bills and legislation
The Child Poverty Act (Scotland) Act 2017 set targets for the eradication of child poverty by 2030 and places duties on Scottish Ministers to prepare delivery plans regularly, and report annually on progress.
Telephone: 0131 244 4000 or 0300 244 4000 (for local rate throughout UK and for mobiles)
Housing and Social Justice Directorate Area 1J South
Edinburgh EH6 6QQ