International offices: Washington DC
Our USA office was established in 2001 to promote Scotland’s interests through political, cultural and economic diplomacy. It is based in the British Embassy in Washington DC. We published Scotland’s Engagement Strategy with the USA in 2017.
The office works on:
- building government-to-government relationships at the federal, congressional and state-level.
- supporting cultural relationships and cultural exchange opportunities
- working with Scotland’s higher education institutions to showcase excellence in the sector
- working with Scottish Development International to support the implementation of the US aspects of the Export Growth Strategy and positioning Scotland as a leading business location
- promoting Scotland’s reputation by deepening links with the USA-Scottish diaspora
We will continue to deepen our understanding and connection with a range of political, cultural and economic stakeholders working with partners in the US for our mutual benefit. We will work to increase awareness of Scotland’s distinct position on issues such as the UK’s departure from the EU, climate change and the Arctic.
Head of Washington DC office: Christopher Thomson
Telephone: +1 (202) 340-5949
Scottish Government Washington DC Office
3100 Massachusetts Ave NW