We are supporting the maintenance and growth of Scotland's forests and forestry industry, so that we may continue to enjoy the benefits they bring to our economy, environment, climate and wellbeing.
Two executive agencies of the Scottish Government deliver forestry and land management functions:
- Scottish Forestry, which is responsible for regulatory, policy, support and grant-giving forestry functions
- Forestry and Land Scotland, which is responsible for managing the Scottish Ministers' land known as the National Forest Estate
We worked with the Forestry Commission to deliver the forestry devolution programme, which involved:
- passing new forestry legislation
- establishing new cross-border forestry arrangements with the Welsh and UK governments and Forestry Commissioners
- setting up new agencies to deliver forestry and land management functions
completing our forestry strategy project which resulted in a new forestry strategy for Scotland
Forestry contributes £1 billion per year to the Scottish economy and supports more than 25,000 jobs.
Scottish Ministers are committed to delivering economic, social and environmental benefits through forestry in Scotland.
Devolution of forestry
We completed the devolution of forestry to Scotland on 1 April 2019.
We published Scotland's Forestry Strategy 2019-2029 in February 2019.
We produced a report setting out the administrative arrangements for the devolution of Forestry in March 2019.
Bills and legislation
The Forestry and Land Management (Scotland) Act 2018 makes new provisions regarding Scottish Ministers’ functions in relation to forestry.
Background information about the passage of the Forestry and Land Management (Scotland) Bill can be found in our website archive.
More information on forestry legislation as part of the devolution of Forestry is in our forestry devolution resource list.
For enquiries regarding regulatory, policy, support and grant-giving forestry functions:
Telephone: 0300 067 6555
231 Corstorphine Road
For enquiries regarding management of the National Forest Estate:
Telephone: 0300 067 6000
Forestry and Land Scotland
1 Highlander Way
Inverness Business Park
Inverness IV2 7GB
For enquiries regarding the forestry strategy: