All children in Scotland have the right to be protected from abuse or neglect. We are ensuring that effective child protection procedures are in place wherever there is a likelihood or risk of a child coming to significant harm.
We are taking forward the Child Protection Improvement Programme (CPIP) to make improvements in all areas of child protection, including:
- implementing the recommendations of an independent child protection systems review to identify and address weaknesses in the system
- taking action to tackle and prevent child neglect
- taking action to tackle and prevent child sexual exploitation
- working with partners to implement the children's actions outlined in the Human Trafficking and Exploitation Strategy, which is being overseen by the Child Trafficking Strategy Group
- supporting children affected by parental substance misuse
- working with partners to keep children safe online
- providing National Guidance for Child Protection in Scotland to help professionals to understand and agree processes for safeguarding children's wellbeing
We are also:
- ensuring there is adequate support for child abuse survivors
- funding the independent Scottish Child Abuse Inquiry
- funding the administration of Scotland's children's hearings system
- supporting proposals to introduce a legislative ban on the physical punishment of children
- protecting Scotland’s Children National Policy and Child Abuse Prevention Activity
- setting up an expert group on preventing sexual offending involving young people
Everyone has a role to play in child protection, not just core professionals. There were more than 2,700 children on the child protection register in July 2016.
Child protection is part of Getting It Right For Every Child (GIRFEC) – our national approach to improving outcomes and supporting the wellbeing of children and young people.
Bills and legislation
The Human Trafficking and Exploitation (Scotland) Act 2015 includes measures to impose tougher penalties on perpetrators of human trafficking and a higher standard of care to victims of human trafficking.
Telephone: 0300 244 4000 – Central Enquiry Unit
Child Protection Policy Team
Care and Protection, Area 2A (N)