Remote and Rural General Practice Working Group
The short life Remote and Rural General Practice Working Group (RRGPWG) is working to support rural areas to deliver the first phase of the new GP Contract (2018 Scottish General Medical Services Contract). This will see services currently delivered by GPs transferred to Health Board employed staff, supported by additional investment and only where it safe and sustainable to do so, over the next three years. This will free up GPs to spend more time with patients most in need of their expert skills.
The Scottish Government and British Medical Association (BMA) recognise that GPs in remote and rural areas have a unique role, and face distinct challenges. The Working Group has commenced a broad programme of engagement with GPs, multidisciplinary clinicians and healthcare service planners and providers in remote and rural areas. Its work focuses on promoting best practice and sharing learning from areas embracing collaborative working and innovative solutions, and celebrating the vital role GPs play in Scotland’s rural communities.
The group members include the BMA, Royal College of General Practitioners, Rural GP Association (RGPAS), Scottish Rural Medicine Collaborative, Scottish Government, NHS Boards, integration authorities and patient representation.
Detailed information about the group's remit and terms of reference is provided in RRGPWG September 2018 bulletin.
Future meetings are planned for December 2018, March 2019 and June 2019.
- Sir Lewis Ritchie, Mackenzie Professor of General Practice, University of Aberdeen, and Medical Advisor, Scottish Government (Chair)
- Colin Angus, Chair, Patient Representatives, P3 group, RCGP
- Dr Jonathan Ball, GP, NHS Highland
- Dr Hugh Brown, GP, NHS Ayrshire & Arran
- Dr Andrew Buist, Chair, SGPC; GP, NHS Tayside
- Dr Andrew Cowie, Deputy Chair, SGPC; GP, NHS Tayside
- Dr Paul Davidson, NHS Highland Associate Medical Director (GP, NHS Highland)
- Fiona Duff, Senior Adviser, Scottish Government
- Dr Charles Dunnett, GP, NHS Dumfries & Galloway
- Richard Foggo, Deputy Director and Head of Primary Care, Scottish Government
- Pamela Gowans, Chief Officer, Moray Health and Social Care Partnership
- Dr Denise McFarlane, GP, NHS Grampian
- Dr Brian Michie, GP, NHS Western Isles
- Ralph Roberts, Chief Executive, NHS Borders and Chair, Scottish Rural Medicine Collaborative
- Joyce Robinson, Argyll and Bute Primary Care Lead
- Dr Kirsty Robinson, GP, NHS Borders
- Dr Charlie Siderfin, GP, NHS Orkney; Medical Advisor, Scottish Government
- Dr Tony Wilkinson, GP, NHS Orkney
- Dr Chris Williams, RCGP Scotland Representative
- Joan Pollard, Associate AHP Director, Dumfries and Galloway
- Joanne Jenkins, Senior Nurse, NHS Lanarkshire
- Dr Patricia Moultrie, Deputy Chair, SGPC
- Dr Emma Watson, Senior Medical Advisor, Health Workforce, Scottish Government
- GMS contract in Scotland: speech by Professor Sir Lewis Ritchie
- Remote and Rural General Practice Working Group minutes: June 2019
- Remote and Rural General Practice Working Group minutes: March 2019
- Remote and Rural General Practice Working Group bulletin: March 2019
- Remote and Rural General Practice Working Group minutes: December 2018
- Remote and Rural General Practice Working Group bulletin: November 2018
- Remote and Rural General Practice Working Group bulletin: September 2018
- Remote and Rural General Practice Working Group minutes: September 2018
- Remote and Rural General Practice Working Group minutes: June 2018