Children (Equal Protection From Assault) (Scotland) Act 2019 implementation group
The Children (Equal Protection from Assault) (Scotland) Act 2019 was passed by the Scottish Parliament in October 2019.
Section 1 of the Act makes it illegal to physically punish a child and will come into force on 7 November 2020
This group was set up to advise on the implementation of the Act, including:
- how best to raise awareness of the new legislation
- how services will respond to incidents of physical punishment
- whether guidance is needed for the public on reporting incidents
- whether additional parenting support is needed and how this could be provided
- how the impact of the legislation can be monitored
The group is also considering who should carry out the implementation tasks as well as associated costs and timescales.
Read the Member's Bill as introduced on the Scottish Parliament website.
Membership bodies are:
- Scottish Government (Chair)
- Children and Young People’s Commissioner Scotland
- Children 1st
- Convention of Scottish Local Authorities
- Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service
- Parenting Across Scotland
- Police Scotland
- Scottish Children’s Reporters Administration
- Social Work Scotland
- NHS Scotland
- One Parent Families Scotland
- Scottish Youth Parliament