- 26 Jun 2019
Attendees and apologies
Simon Stockwell (chair), Sarah Meanley, Maria Gray, Rebekah Sheriff, Kim Wallace, Andrea Kinver, Rachael Vasallo-Watson (Scottish Government); Clare Simpson (Parenting Across Scotland); Angela Latta (Social Work Scotland), Matthew Sweeney (Convention of Scottish Local Authorities), Umar Ansari (One Parent Families Scotland), Mark Ballard (Children 1st), Jack Dudgeon (Member of the Scottish Youth Parliament), Malcolm Schaffer (Scottish Children’s Reporters Administration)
Superintendent David Pettigrew (Police Scotland); Megan Farr and Máire McCormack (Children and Young Persons’ Commissioner Scotland), Jamie Lipton Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service), Clare Armes (NHS Scotland)
Items and actions
Minutes of the first meeting
2. The group agreed to the publication of the minutes of the first meeting.
Update on Bill
3. The chair updated the group on the Bill, including information about Stage 1 evidence and timings.
Forthcoming Scottish Government marketing campaign on physical punishment of children
Potential guidance for social work and other agencies and public facing information on the proposed changes to the law
- the need to consider the possible impact on more vulnerable groups
- clarity on the law would be required at all levels
- the need to link to other guidance where relevant such as, for example, child protection guidance. It was noted that this was currently being reviewed
- the need to take into account children’s voices and views
Date of next meeting