The Scottish Household Survey (SHS) is an annual, cross-sectional survey that provides robust evidence on the composition, characteristics, attitudes and behaviour of private households and individuals as well as evidence on the physical condition of Scotland’s homes. The SHS asks questions of a random sample of people in private residences in Scotland. Questions are asked by an interviewer in homes all over Scotland. Its large sample size allows analysis of all Scotland's 32 local authorities.
Participation is voluntary, and is important in helping us make representative estimates for Scotland.
The topics covered in the survey include:
- Economic Activity
- Physical Activity
- Local Services
For all SHS publications please visit the SHS publications web page.
More detail on the questions asked in the SHS and the methods used are provided in the Questionnaires and Methodology sections below.
The SHS is run by Ipsos MORI on behalf of the Scottish Government. If you have been asked to take part in the survey there more information can be found on their website.
- Scottish household survey: information for interviewees
- Scottish household survey: Frequently Asked Questions
- Scottish household survey: how to get results
- Scottish household survey: data access
- Scottish household survey: privacy and data protection
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): Impact on Scottish Household Survey and Scottish House Condition Survey fieldwork in 2020 and 2021
Information and slides from the most recent user days hosted by the Scottish Government. You can view information relating to previous user days in our archive.
The questionnaires and questionnaire reviews for the Scottish Household Survey.
The structure of the survey is a continuous cross-sectional survey. As well as keeping down the annual cost of the survey and making the volume of fieldwork more manageable, a continuous survey will, in time, enable national trends to be detected sooner than would periodical surveys. Below are documents which detail the methodology and fieldwork done.
- Scottish Household Survey 2019: methodology and fieldwork outcomes
- Scottish household survey 2018: methodology and fieldwork outcomes
- Scottish household survey 2017: methodology and fieldwork outcomes
- Scottish household survey: methodology and fieldwork outcomes (2014-16)
- Scottish Household Survey User Engagement Report 2020
- Scottish Household Survey income analysis
- Scottish Household Survey: response rates, reissuing and survey quality
- Scottish household survey: survey of non-response
- Scottish household survey: comparison of income data
- Scottish Household Survey - Older People: 1999-2002
Please email the Scottish Household Survey at firstname.lastname@example.org to provide feedback on the SHS or to request further information on any issue, including ad-hoc requests for analysis and for people wishing to opt-out of taking part in the survey.
If you do not wish to take part in the survey, please use the freephone number or email us to have your household address removed from our lists:
Telephone: 0808 238 5376
More information from Ipsos MORI: The Scottish Household Survey (SHS)
If you wish to be added to the e-mail mailing list to be kept informed of details of SHS developments, you should register your interest in 'Population and Household Surveys' and/or the Scottish Household Survey' sub-topic on the ScotStat Register.