Free Personal and Nursing Care (FPNC) was introduced by the Scottish Government in 2002 to people aged 65 and over. In April 2019, Frank’s law extended the provision of FPNC payments to all adults.
Data are collected in the Scottish Government's quarterly monitoring return, then published annually. In each publication, information is included on:
- the number of people receiving these payments in their own home and in care homes
- the amount spent on FPNC payments in care homes (since 2021-22, this has been estimated)
- the amount spent on personal care services to people in their own home
- the average weekly number of hours of personal care provided to people in their own home
Below is the most recent edition of the FPNC publication, followed by historic annual editions. Although there is a gap in publications due to COVID-19, data from 2018-19 to 2020-21 was collected in 2021 and all figures are included in the 2020-21 publication.
The next release (of 2023-24 data) is provisionally scheduled for September 2024.
Statistics release presenting data on the number of people aged 18 and over that benefit from Free Personal Care (FPC) and Free Nursing Care (FNC) in Scotland, and the amount that Local Authorities spend on personal care services.
- Free Personal and Nursing Care, Scotland, 2021-22
- Free Personal And Nursing Care, Scotland, 2020-21
- Extension Of Free Personal Care To People Under The Age Of 65, Scotland, 2020-21
- Free personal and nursing care, Scotland, 2017-18
- Free personal and nursing care, Scotland, 2016-17
- Free personal and nursing care, Scotland 2015-16
- Free personal and nursing care, Scotland, 2014-15
- Free Personal And Nursing Care, Scotland, 2013-14
- Free personal and nursing care, Scotland, 2012-13
- Free personal and nursing care, Scotland, 2011-12
- Free personal and nursing care, Scotland, 2010-11
Methodology and Background Information
Since 2022-23, a separate 'Methodology and Background Information' document has been published with the FPNC publication.
Background information on FPNC
- For more information on Free Personal and Nursing Care itself, see this factsheet, produced in 2019
- Information on the current weekly FPNC payment rates can be found on Care Information Scotland's website
Information for data suppliers
Data is supplied through the the Quarterly Monitoring Return, which is collected from Local Authorities twice a year. The 2023-24 returns have yet to be produced, but for reference, a blank copy of last year's return is below:
Other health and social care publications
For other publications relating to health and social care, please see the health and social care analysis page of our website.