Welcome to Scotland – a guide for Service personnel and their families in Scotland (updated 2022)

Provides practical information to service personnel and their families on topics such as housing, education, healthcare and employment.

Benefits and Social Care

We have lots of help available for accessing benefits and social care in Scotland. More information about some of the support services is below.

Social Security Scotland

Social Security Scotland is an agency of the Scottish Government. They are responsible for the delivery of some low income, disability and carer benefits and they will be responsible for 14 benefits once fully operational. You can find out more about what benefits are delivered by Social Security Scotland at

Your Local Council

Many local councils have welfare rights advisers who can help you with problems surrounding benefits or your eligibility. You can find your local council by typing in your postcode at

Citizens Advice Scotland

You can find information on benefits and other issues like housing, debt and employment at or 0808 800 9060.

Armed Services Advice Project (ASAP)

ASAP also provides dedicated information, advice and support to members of the Armed Forces Community in Scotland. The service is provided by the Scottish Citizens Advice Bureau Service, more information can be found at

Turn to Us

Turn to Us provides support if you are suffering financial hardship you can find information at

Department of Work and Pensions (DWP)

DWP is responsible for most welfare, pensions and child maintenance policy. They deal with the administration some working age, disability and ill-health benefits.

As part of the Armed Forces Covenant, the DWP has initiatives that help current and former members of the Armed Forces and their families access Jobcentre Plus services. This includes having an Armed Forces champion in every Jobcentre Plus district who ensures that DWP provide support that meets the needs of the Armed Forces Community. See more information on the DWP and the Armed Forces at–forcesand-their-families

You will find further information on the Scottish Government’s website at



Back to top