Victim's rights in Scotland: easy read leaflet

Publication for people with learning difficulties describes how victims of crime should be treated within the criminal justice system, and what information, help and support they should receive.

Who to Contact and How to Complain

A man making a phone call

If you have any further questions about your rights, please contact the relevant authority:

Police Scotland

Police Scotland logo

Keep law and order, protect members of the public and their property, and stop, detect and investigate crime

101 (non-emergency), 999 or 112 (emergency)

Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service

Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service logo

Get reports about crimes from the police and then decide what action to take, including whether to prosecute someone, and ask prosecution witnesses to come to court

Telephone: 0300 020 3000

Scottish Courts and Tribunals Service:

Scottish Courts and Tribunals Service logo

Support the judges, and enable court cases to be heard.

0131 444 3455

Scottish Prison Service

Scottish Prison Service logo

Manage offenders and give information to victims who are on the Victim Notification Scheme, including when an offender is due for release.

0131 330 3500

Parole Board for Scotland

Parole Board for Scotland logo

Assess the risk which an offender will pose in the community if released, and consider victim representations under the Victim Notification Scheme.

0131 244 8373


A woman looking at a website on a computer

If you are a victim of crime and you think any of your rights have been breached by an organisation, you can make a complaint. The organisations will tell you how to complain on their websites.

Further information about your rights after a crime can be found at


Back to top