Victims' code for Scotland

If you are a victim of crime you have a number of rights. Victims' Code sets out these rights, how you can exercise them and the relevant authorities to contact should you need further help and advice.

Who to Contact and How to Complain

If you have any further questions about your rights, please contact the relevant authority:

Police Scotland:

Maintain law and order, protect members of the public and their property, and prevent, detect and investigate crime -

101 (non-emergency), 999 or 112 (emergency)

Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service:

Receive reports about crimes from the police and then decide what action to take, including whether to prosecute someone, and cite prosecution witnesses to attend court -

0300 020 3000

Scottish Courts and Tribunals Service:

Provide the people and facilities to support the judges, and enable court cases to be heard -

0131 444 3455

Scottish Prison Service:

Manage offenders and provide victims who are on the Victim Notification Scheme with information, including when an offender is eligible for release. Contact point for release information for offenders sentenced to less than 18 months imprisonment -

0131 330 3500

Parole Board:

Assess the risk which an offender will pose in the community if released, and consider victim representations under the Victim Notification Scheme -

0131 244 8373

If, as a victim of crime, you think any of your rights have been breached, you can complain to the relevant authority by asking for details of their complaints procedure. Their complaints procedures are also published on their websites.

Further information about your rights after a crime can be found at


Email: Zak Tuck

Back to top