Publication - Report

Scottish Government MAPPA annual overview report 2016

Published: 28 Oct 2016

The main developments relating to Multi-Agency Public Protection Arrangements (MAPPA) as a result of work conducted by the Scottish Government.

13 page PDF

237.1 kB

13 page PDF

237.1 kB

Scottish Government MAPPA annual overview report 2016
Appendix B

13 page PDF

237.1 kB

Appendix B

MAPPA National Data

This Appendix outlines patterns in information on Registered Sex Offenders ( RSO) extracted from the ViSOR database on 31 st March of each year.

Numbers of Registered Sex Offenders in Scotland, 2015 to 2016




RSOs - in custody and at Liberty - on 31 March



RSOs at liberty in Scotland on 31 March



RSOs at liberty managed at Level 1 on 31 March



RSOs at liberty managed at Level 2 on 31 March



RSOs at liberty managed at Level 3 on 31 March



RSOs reported for breaches of notification



RSOs convicted of a further group 1 or 2 crime*



RSOs wanted on 31 March



RSOs missing on 31 March



*Group 1 and 2 crimes -Group 1 relates to non-sexual crimes of violence and group 2 relates to sexual crimes.

On 31 March 2016, there were 5098 Registered Sex Offenders ( RSO) in Scotland who were either in custody or at liberty being managed in the community. The total number of RSO has increased by 6% compared with 2015 when there were 4787 recorded.

The bulletin on Recorded Crime in Scotland, 2015-16, which was published in September 2016, shows that sexual crimes accounted for 4.2% of all crimes recorded in Scotland in 2015-16. The report states that the number of sexual crimes recorded by the police in Scotland continued to increase in 2015-16, up by 7% from 9,557 crimes in 2014-15 to 10,273 in 2015-16. This combined with a higher than average clear up rate for sexual offences (74.1% compared to 51.6% for all crimes) provides context for the corresponding rise in RSO numbers. The full report can be accessed via the following link:

The number of RSOs living in the community has risen from 3767 in 2015 to 3950 in this reporting period, an increase of 183. It is normal for this figure to increase year on year as a greater number of offenders are released from prison than are released from the Sex Offender Notification Requirements ( SONR).

Over three quarters of RSO's (77%) were in the community being managed (3950 RSO) with the vast majority (95%) of these being managed at Level 1 (3757 RSO). The remaining 193, or 5% were being managed at level 2 and level 3.

The Joint Thematic Review of MAPPA in Scotland highlighted that RSO's are being managed at the appropriate risk management level, and community integration is supported by risk management plans. This highlights that current inter-agency working and co-operation has led to partner's continued ability to confidently manage offenders at the lowest possible level applying appropriate resources without impacting upon public safety.

The number of RSO's who have been convicted of a further Group 1 or 2 crime has shown little change between 2015 and 2016, 69 in 2015 and 72 in 2016. However those convicted of further Group 1 and Group 2 crimes represented 1.4% of all RSOs in both years illustrating the effective contribution that MAPPA makes to safer communities.

Wanted and Missing Registered Sex Offenders:

A Missing person is defined as anyone whose whereabouts is unknown and:

  • where the circumstances are out of character; or
  • the context suggests the person may be subject to crime; or
  • the person is at risk of harm to themselves or another.

A Wanted Registered Sex Offender is defined as those who are subject to the notification requirements of the Sexual Offences Act 2003 and who have a live warrant in force.

The 9 Wanted RSOs are assessed as having left the UK with no indication they have returned. Police Scotland treat all missing and wanted Registered Sex Offenders with the utmost seriousness and will carry out thorough enquiries to trace their whereabouts and to re-establish the management required to protect the public. On all occasions a Senior Investigating Officer ( SIO) of a rank no less than Inspector will be appointed to lead these investigations. Up to date figures are available via the Police Scotland website.