- 23 Apr 2020
Items and actions
1. The Advisory Group noted the work of SAGE and had ‘deep dive’ discussions on potential options for re-opening schools in Scotland and allowing some outdoor workers to return to work.
2. Regarding schooling in Scotland, the group noted that there are still a number of uncertainties in the evidence base, including the likelihood of children transmitting the virus. The group agreed on a number of points:
- the risk posed by the virus to children is low but not zero;
- if schools were to return, clear advice would need to be given on safety measures for staff and children;
- a policy would need to be developed to deal with suspected and confirmed cases amongst teachers and pupils in advance of schools going back.
3. Regarding outdoor workers, the group agreed that with appropriate physical distancing the risk of transmission is likely to be low. The group also agreed that clear public health guidance will need to be given on precautions to be taken in order to keep the risk of transition to a minimum. The Chair will convene further discussion on this topic on Thursday 23 April.