1. Specifically, this includes the Afghan Citizens Resettlement Scheme pathway 2 and 3 as well as direct ARAP matches from third countries. See the following section for a detailed explanation of these schemes.
2. This review does not cover some of the smaller schemes, including the Mandate Scheme, the Community Sponsorship Scheme and the now-defunct Gateway Protection Programme.
3. These responsibilities are based on the funding instructions to local authorities for the VPRS (Home Office 2023a).
4. For a further discussion of efforts to reduce the use of bridging hotels, see the housing section of Chapter 4 of this report.
6. At the time of writing, the MS Ambition had already been vacated.
7. People seeking asylum may only work in jobs on the Shortage Occupation List and only after they have been waiting for their claim for at least a year.
8. This includes people receiving section 4, section 95 or section 98 support.
9. Differences in data availability in the devolved nations meant that in these cases the weighting methodology needed to be adapted as appropriate.
10. See chapter 4 for further discussion of CLD practices.
12. Report received via personal correspondence and is not publicly available.
13. Klik2Learn homepage.
14. This partnership is made up of Dundee City Council, Angus Council, Dundee and Angus College and Dundee international Women’s Centre.
17. This group is formally defined as non-UK born people whose main reason for originally migrating to the UK was asylum.
22. People seeking asylum in Wales and Northern Ireland, like Scotland, are also entitled regardless of whether they are refused asylum status (BMA 2023).
23. A Team Around the Child approach involves a multidisciplinary team of individuals working together with the child or young person to support their needs. For an explanation of GIRFEC (Getting It Right For Every Child), see the ‘Education and Language’ section of Chapter 4.
26. For the purpose of this report, ‘remote’ means areas which are situated far from the main centres of population in Scotland. This is distinct from ‘rural’, which refers to areas of low population density.
27. The move to full dispersal was in its early stages at the time of the fieldwork.
28. One interviewee did note, however, that the Covid-19 pandemic had made the process a bit easier as support could be provided virtually from Glasgow.
29. For the next iteration of the New Scots Refugee Integration Strategy, the Scottish Government has offered small grants to organisations for engagement events for New Scots (Scottish Government 2023h).
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback