Table 11: Reconviction rates and average number of reconvictions per offender, by local authority group based on court areas: 2015-16 cohort
|Local authority group1||Number of offenders||Reconviction rate||Average number of reconvictions per offender|
|Aberdeen City and Aberdeenshire2||3,495||27.8||0.56|
|Argyll & Bute3||416||22.8||0.33|
|Ayrshire, East, North and South4||3,713||30.1||0.53|
|Dumfries & Galloway||1,448||25.9||0.44|
|Dunbartonshire, East and West5,6||1,055||28.2||0.47|
|Edinburgh and Midlothian8,9||5,055||25.6||0.46|
|Lanarkshire, North and South12||5,000||28.3||0.50|
|Na h-Eileanan Siar||107||13.1||0.19|
|Perth and Kinross||979||22.0||0.34|
|Renfrewshire and East Renfrewshire13||1,692||26.4||0.41|
1. Approximate areas are based on where the courts of the offenders' index convictions are located, including high courts. Some sheriff court boundaries include more than one local authority area, so they are grouped together so that there are 25 groups of local authorities rather than all 32 being displayed separately. See relevant footnotes below.
2. Aberdeen City and Aberdeenshire (Aberdeen, Banff, Stonehaven and Peterhead Sheriff Courts).
3. Rothesay Sheriff Court closed in 2013 and the business moved to Greenock Sheriff Court. Therefore some of the Argyll and Bute figures are included under Inverclyde.
4. East, North, and South Ayrshire (Kilmarnock and Ayr Sheriff Courts).
5. East and West Dunbartonshire (Dumbarton Sheriff Court).
6. Parts of East Dunbartonshire are also served by Glasgow Sheriff Court, but the figures for Glasgow Sheriff Court are only included within the Glasgow local authority area.
7. Cupar Sheriff and Justice of the Peace Court closed in 2014 and the business was moved to Dundee Sheriff and Justice of the Peace Court. Therefore some Fife figures are counted under Dundee City.
8. Haddington Sheriff Court and Justice of the Peace Court closed at the start of 2015 and the business was moved to Edinburgh Sheriff Court. Therefore some of the East Lothian figures are included under Edinburgh and Midlothian.
9. City of Edinburgh and Midlothian (Edinburgh Sheriff Court).
10. Glasgow Sheriff Court also serves parts of East Dunbartonshire, and North Lanarkshire and South Lanarkshire. However, since this analysis is based on approximation of court areas, numbers for Glasgow Sheriff Court are only included within the Glasgow local authority area.
11. Includes the Stipendiary Magistrates court.
12. North and South Lanarkshire (Airdrie, Hamilton and Lanark Sheriff Courts). Some parts of North and South Lanarkshire are also covered by Glasgow Sheriff Court, but the figures for Glasgow Sheriff Court are only included within the Glasgow local authority area.
13. Renfrewshire and East Renfrewshire (Paisley Sheriff Court).