"...I understand there was a report published in 2016 detailing the investigation at former RAF Kinloss which declared the nuclear contamination not a threat to public safety. However, I can not find any reports on investigations surrounding:
- RAF Base in Machrihanish
- RAF Base in Argyll
- Aviation repair centre in Perth
I find the lack of transparency regarding nuclear contamination on these sites to be quite surprising and would gratefully receive any further information you have in relation to these sites. Has there been any investigations?"
As the information you have requested is ‘environmental information’ for the purposes of the Environmental Information (Scotland) Regulations 2004 (EIRs), we are required to deal with your request under those Regulations. We are applying the exemption at section 39(2) of the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002 (FOISA), so that we do not also have to deal with your request under FOISA.
This exemption is subject to the ‘public interest test’. Therefore, taking account of all the circumstances of this case, we have considered if the public interest in disclosing the information outweighs the public interest in applying the exemption. We have found that, on balance, the public interest lies in favour of upholding the exemption, because there is no public interest in dealing with the same request under two different regimes. This is essentially a technical point and has no material effect on the outcome of your request.
We have conducted searches for the information you have requested and attach two documents within scope of your request relating to the former DARA Almondbank aerospace component works site near Perth (the third site listed in your request) at Annexes A and B to this letter.
While our aim is to provide information whenever possible, in this instance the Scottish Government does not have some of the information you have requested. Therefore we are refusing the remainder of your request under the exception at regulation 10(4)(a) of the EIRs. Having conducted searches for the information you requested but have not identified any further relevant information. This is because the Scottish Government is not responsible for investigations into the three sites mentioned in your email.
This exception is subject to the 'public interest test'. Therefore, taking account of all the circumstances of this case, we have considered if the public interest in disclosing the information outweighs the public interest in applying the exception. We have found that, on balance, the public interest lies in favour of upholding the exception. While we recognise that there may be some public interest in information about potential radioactive contamination at former MOD sites, clearly we cannot provide information which we do not hold.
Relevant information could be held by other organisations and you may wish to contact them to see if they can also help you;
- The Ministry of Defence at firstname.lastname@example.org. Further information can be found at:https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/ministry-of-defence/about/publication-scheme
- The Scottish Environmental Protection Agency at email@example.com. Further information can be found at: https://www.sepa.org.uk/about-us/access-to-information/
- The Committee on Medical Aspects of Radiation in the Environment (COMARE) who have previously produced reports on contamination at other sites in the UK. The email address for COMARE is: firstname.lastname@example.org. Further information can be found at: https://www.gov.uk/government/groups/committee-on-medical-aspects-of-radiation-in-the-environment-comare
- Argyll and Bute Council at email@example.com. Further information can be found at: https://www.argyll-bute.gov.uk/my-council/freedom-information#:~:text=Online%20- %20use%20our%20Information%20Request%20Online%20Form,%26%20
- Perth and Kinross Council at firstname.lastname@example.org. Further information can be found at: https://www.pkc.gov.uk/foi#:~:text=Making%20a%20Freedom%20of%20
The Scottish Government is committed to publishing all information released in response to Freedom of Information requests. View all FOI responses at http://www.gov.scot/foi-responses.
- File type
- 5 page PDF
- File size
- 56.4 kB
Please quote the FOI reference
Central Enquiry Unit
Phone: 0300 244 4000
The Scottish Government
St Andrews House
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback