Attendees and apologies
- Paul Johnston, Director-General, Education, Communities and Justice (chair)
- David Wallace, Chief Executive, Social Security Agency
- Gavin Henderson, Deputy Director Civil Law and Legal System
- Graeme Logan, Director of Learning
- Joe Griffin, Director for Safer Communities
- Sean Neill, Deputy Director Health Workforce
- Nicky Richards, Director, People Directorate
- Laic Khalique, NHS Tayside
- Lisa Bird, Deputy Director Equality and Human Rights (attending as Chair of REAP Delivery Group & representing Stephen Gallagher)
- Shirley Laing, Interim Director for Housing & Social Justice
- Stephen Pathirana, Deputy Director of Trade and Investment Delivery Division and Race Equality Network Sr Lead
- Adam Reid, Deputy Director Fair Work and Labour Market Strategy (representing Dominic Munro)
- Claire Marr, Deputy Director People Development
- Jess Dolan, Joint Head Equality Unit
- Joanne Streeter, Head of Diversity and Inclusion
- Mandy Watts, Race Employment, Fair and Inclusive Workplaces Unit
- Melanie Weldon, Health Improvement (Covid-19 Health Hub)
- Dominic Munro, Director for Fair Work, Employability & Skills
- Stephen Gallagher, Director, Local Government & Communities
- Gillian Russell, Director of Health Workforce
- Hilary Third, Equality Unit
- Harry Dozier, Equality Unit
Items and actions
This virtual meeting of the Board was called in order to consider the impact that COVID-19 is having on ME communities.
Paul welcomed everyone and introduced Claire Marr who has joined the Board in her new role within People Directorate.
The meeting focused on the following:
- looking at the data we hold to date
- considering the intelligence we have received from key stakeholders in Scotland
- reviewing the range of activity underway across Government
- agreeing next steps
The Board reviewed all the information held at this stage, and agreed that urgent action was required to:
- ensure we have a clearer picture of the context in Scotland
- develop a clear set of actions to inform the SG’s response
A number of initial actions were agreed:
- Laic Khalique to share data from the Institute of Fiscal Studies for distribution to Board.
- Sean Neill to update the Board on the development of guidance to healthcare frontline staff.
- Adam Reid to ensure that guidance for employers in relation to risk specifically takes race into consideration.
- Nicky Richards to engage with Adam’s team on how to apply any employer recommendations to the SG as an employer.
- Paul Johnston to speak to Public Health Scotland to invite a representative to attend Board.
- Sean Neill to link with Melanie Weldon on how health employment can be involved with the Hub.
- Equality Unit to draft a submission to Ministers covering - data landscape; update on the Whitehall inquiry (and the parameters of that inquiry); communication lines outlining current activities in relation to supporting ME communities; next steps
- another additional meeting should be held ahead of the next scheduled Board meeting on 4 August. The focus of the additional meeting would be to review progress of the support to ME communities during Covid-19, taking on board feedback from Ministers.
Dates will be confirmed in correspondence.
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback