Publication - Minutes

Pupil Support Staff Working Group minutes: 8 June 2021

Published: 1 Sep 2021
Directorate:
Learning Directorate
Part of:
Education
Date of meeting: 8 Jun 2021
Location: online

Agenda and minutes from the group's meeting on 8 June.

Published:
1 Sep 2021
Pupil Support Staff Working Group minutes: 8 June 2021

Agenda

1. Welcome and introductions

2. Minute of last meeting (29 April)
    2.1 Update on action points

3.  Update on Professional Standards & Professional Learning Framework Papers 
    3.1  CLD Standards Council Summary 
    3.2  Draft stakeholder engagement / consultation paper 
             - Development of combined product
             - Communication plan

4. Next Steps

5. AOB

6. Date of next meeting

Attendees and apologies

  • David Roy, Scottish Government (Chair)
  • Marion MacRury, Scottish Government (Minutes)
  • Dougie Atkinson, Voice
  • Bernadette Casey, AHDS
  • Sally Cavers, Children in Scotland
  • Jo Fell, Fife Council (Training & Development Officer)
  • Frances Foreman, Education Scotland
  • Janette Kerr, ASLO (Education Support Officer Dundee City Council)
  • Deborah Lynch, Scottish Government
  • Scott Miller, Scottish Government
  • Peter McNaughton, ADES 
  • Maria Pridden, Unison
  • Matthew Sweeney (COSLA)

Apologies

  • Simon Cameron, COSLA
  • Tracy Manning, Scottish Government

Items and actions

Welcome and introductions

The Chair (DR) welcomed members to the meeting.

Note of last meeting

The minute of the last meeting of 29 April was approved and the following update on action points was provided.

  • action 5.1     On agenda – item 3.1
  • action 5.2     On agenda – item 3.2
  • action 10.1   Fran Foreman advised that population of draft framework was continuing, and she was beginning to map across to the Skills Framework
  • action 10.2   On agenda – item 3.2
  • action 10.3   Ongoing – Janette Kerr (JK) to provide calendar of meeting dates to map engagement.  Noted meetings first Friday of month and verbal invite to meeting on 3 September 10.30-12.30 provided
  • action 11.2   Ongoing – to be picked up in next stage of engagement

SLF – FF advised that 21-23 September had been confirmed for virtual SLF, noting Education Scotland were not at stage of accepting actual proposals but she had submitted an overview in respect of this work.  FF to keep the group informed.

Action 2.1:  FF to keep group informed of SLF developments.

DR updated the group on the appointment of Shirley Ann Somerville as Cabinet Secretary for Education and Skills and that she would be made aware of the work of the PSSWG in the coming weeks.

Deborah Lynch (DL) confirmed requirement to report to ministers in October as part of the ASL review.

CLD Standards Council Summary

Scott Miller (SM) summarised and sought views on the circulated paper. He advised of recent meeting with Marion Allison of CLD Standards Council and knowledge gained from their experience and advice to; pursue a PSS code of ethics and values and for greater consistency on job titles.  It was noted that there were both similarities and differences in regards the workforce but that the CLD Standards was supported by legislation.  MA had agreed to share further information with SM.

Bernadette Casey (BC) stated that the draft was a good starting point and that aspects of ‘reflective supervision’ needed to be included in the skills framework and noting the code of ethics was important to a national strategy.  DR noted that ‘reflective supervision’ was picking up pace in relation to teaching workforce and school empowerment.  Members discussed some practicalities and issues in relation to support staff and reflective supervision, coaching and local authority approaches to PRDs.  It was suggested that the GIRFEC Common Core Values be revisited.  After some discussion it was agreed that, at this stage, a statement be included in the framework to reflect aspiration/potential value at looking at shared values rather than being prescriptive.

Action 3.1: SG to review GIRFEC Common Core Values etc.

Action 3.2: FF to include statement in draft and circulate to group.

Draft stakeholder engagement / consultation paper

SM summarised and sought views on the circulated draft, as a starting structure/plan, noting draft consultation questions were set out in Annex A.  Members were asked to provide comment or send in separately.  Initial comments from members were positive with the following being noted:

  • ensure more alignment across document as the paper was quite broad in its current form
  • members noted different interpretations in relation to 3.1 (Engagement objectives)
  • it was acknowledged that there was a need for wider engagement with unions in the development of the strategy
  • include guidance on the role and responsibilities of managers
  • section 4 – last bullet should be first bullet
  • section 8 – strengthen messages on resourcing/support

There was acknowledgement that of the need for a formal consultation exercise, following SLF.  Members were asked give further consideration to the draft consultation questions and any further comments, and feedback by e-mail to SM who would revise paper.  Members provided suggestions re publicising consultation, use of networks etc. and agreed to discuss further at next meeting.

Action 4.1: Members to provide any further comments on draft paper to SM.

Action 4.2: SM to update stakeholder/consultation paper and circulate for comment.

Next steps

DR recapped, as noted above, the draft would be expanded with a view towards September consultation and that any further comments would be appreciated, to enable a revised early draft to be circulated.

Any other business

No other business was raised.

Date of next meeting

The date of the next meeting would be scheduled for mid-August.

Action 7.1     SG to trawl and schedule a meeting date for mid-August.

Summary of action points

Action 2.1:  FF to keep group informed of SLF developments.

Action 3.1: SG to review GIRFEC Common Core Values etc.

Action 3.2: FF to include statement in draft and circulate to group.

Action 4.1: Members to provide any further comments on draft paper to SM.

Action 4.2: SM to update stakeholder/consultation paper and circulate for comment.

Action 7.1  SG to trawl and schedule a meeting date for mid-August.