Table 8: Total devolved public sector employment by sector; Scotland, Full-time equivalent
Not Seasonally Adjusted
| Total Devolved |
|Civil Service|| Other Public |
|NHS|| Further Education |
| Local |
| Public |
|Change on year to:|
|% change on year:|
1. Figures have been rounded to the nearest hundred. Percentages are based on unrounded figures.
2. Local Government category revised to include Strathclyde Partnership for Transport (SPT) following a review by the National Accounts Classifications Team at ONS.
3. A number of local government staff have transferred to arms length organisations which are part of the private sector under National Accounts definitions. For example, staff transferred from Glasgow City Council to Cordia Limited Liability Partnership from 1 April 2009 thus explaining the decrease in local government employment between 2008 and 2009.
4. Staff from Local Authority District Courts and Police Authorities have transferred into the Devolved Civil Service since 2007.
5. Information for further education colleges in Scotland is based on actual information from Q4 2010. The method used to create the back series is detailed in the background notes of this publication.
6. From Q4 2011, NHS has responsibility for employing Healthcare staff within prisons. Previously, these people were employed directly by the Scottish Prison Service (SPS).
7. Detailed tables showing a full time series of data - all quarters back to Q1 1999 - are available to download from the Public Sector Employment Websection:
Email: Chris Newson