8. Training and Awareness
Some training courses available to Caldicott Guardians are listed below. These are provided for information only and are not endorsed by SGHD.
- Edinburgh University and Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh - Health Information Governance Postgraduate Programme
The aim of the programme is to equip participants with the knowledge and practical skills essential for developing and implementing the Information Governance Agenda in the NHS in the UK and frameworks and systems in place in other countries. This encompasses:
- Interpretation and application of key information governance related legislation and improvement and implementation of information governance procedures and processes at a strategic and operational level in a healthcare setting
- Enhancing information management and knowledge management processes and practices at an organisational level.
See the University of Edinburgh site: http://www.fhi.rcsed.ac.uk/site/2688/default.aspx
- General Medical Council
Good Medical Practice in Action is an interactive web section which brings the GMC's ethical guidance to life. More information is available at: http://www.gmc-uk.org/guidance/case_studies.asp
- BMJ Learning
Primary care and hospital practitioners and Practice Staffs learning needs. Choose from both clinical and non-clinical modules, covering access to health records, data protection and confidentiality. To log on please visit: http://www.bmjlearning.com/planrecord/index.jsp
- ISEB- Data Protection
Provides a recognised industry qualification at certificate level for those with data protection responsibilities, as well as providing an effective conversation route for those needing to update their knowledge of and practice under the 1998 Data Protection Act. More details are available at: http://www.bcs.org/server.php?show=nav.6925
- Law and Medical Ethics Course - Edinburgh Law School
A seven or ten-week course, or as individual modules delivered entirely by distance learning. The programme is aimed at medical practitioners and assumes no prior knowledge of law. Further details of the programme, including cost and start dates can be found at: http://www.law.ed.ac.uk/ahrc/teaching/cpd/lawandmedicalethics/
Data Protection Courses and Freedom of Information Courses http://www.law.ed.ac.uk/ahrc/teaching/cpd/dataprotection/
- University of Glasgow - Masters in Medical Law (Distance Learning)
The Masters in Medical Law ( MML) provides an opportunity to engage in topical and frequently controversial issues in medical law and ethics, within a flexible learning environment. The MML is a part-time degree, taught over two years by online, interactive modules, attendance at two residential weekends each year, and a dissertation under supervision.
Further information is available from:
Ms Sarah Elliston
Tel: +44 (0)141 330 2696
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback