Multi-Agency Public Protection Arrangements (MAPPA): overview report 2020 to 2021

Operation of Multi-Agency Public Protection Arrangements (MAPPA) in Scotland from 2020 to 2021.

Appendix B: MAPPA National Data

This Appendix outlines patterns in information on Registered Sex Offenders (RSOs) extracted from the ViSOR database on 31st March of each year. This provides a snapshot at a point in time.

Numbers of Registered Sex Offenders in Scotland, 2020 to 2021
Category 2020 2021
RSOs in custody and at liberty on 31 March 5,905 5,830
RSOs at liberty on 31 March 4,453 4,358
RSOs at liberty managed at Level 1 on 31 March 4,335 4,234
RSOs at liberty managed at Level 2 on 31 March 115 115
RSOs at liberty managed at Level 3 on 31 March 3 2
RSOs reported for breaches of notification 344 282
RSOs convicted of a further group 1 or 2 crime* 97 96
RSOs wanted on 31 March 17 13
RSOs missing on 31 March 0 0

*Group 1 and 2 crimes - Group 1 relates to non-sexual crimes of violence and group 2 relates to sexual crimes.

On 31 March 2021, there were 5,830 RSOs in Scotland who were either in custody or at liberty and being managed in the community. The total number of RSOs has decreased by 1.3% compared with 2020 when there were 5,905 recorded.

The National Statistics on Recorded Crime in Scotland, 2020-2021 published in September 2021, illustrated that sexual crimes accounted for 5% of all crimes recorded in Scotland in 2020-21. The report states that sexual crimes recorded by the police fell in 2019-20, down by 233 (2%) from 13,364 in 2019-20 to 13,131 in 2020-21.

On 31st March 2021, three quarters of RSOs (75% or 4,358 RSOs) were in the community being managed, with the vast majority (97% or 4,234 RSOs) of these being managed at Level 1. The remaining 117, or 3%, were being managed at level 2 or level 3.

The proportion of RSOs who have been convicted of a further Group 1 or 2 crime has decreased slightly in the last year (96 in 2020-21 compared to 97 in 2019-20). These convictions include offences detected as a result of proactive management and effective policing by the partner agencies. When individuals managed under MAPPA commit further serious crimes, the significant case review process remains in place, which examines the management arrangements for the individual and identifies areas of learning and improvement for future policy and practice.

In 2020-2021, 95% of RSOs complied with their notification requirements under the Sexual Offences Act 2003. The proportion of RSOs who failed to comply with their notification requirements has fluctuated at around 5%-6% for the last five years.

Sex Offender Notification Requirements are robustly policed so that those who breach their terms are identified at the earliest opportunity. The RSO can receive a maximum penalty of 5 years' imprisonment for failing to comply with notification requirements.

Wanted and Missing Registered Sex Offenders:

A Missing person is defined as anyone whose whereabouts is unknown and:

  • where the circumstances are out of character; or
  • the context suggests the person may be subject to crime; or
  • the person is at risk of harm to themselves or another.

A Wanted Registered Sex Offender is defined as those who are subject to the notification requirements of the Sexual Offences Act 2003 and who have a live warrant in force.

In March 2021, all 13 of the Wanted RSOs were assessed as having left the UK with no indication they have returned. Police Scotland treat all missing and wanted RSOs with the utmost seriousness and will carry out thorough enquiries to trace their whereabouts and to re-establish the management required to protect the public. On all occasions a Senior Investigating Officer of a rank no less than Inspector will be appointed to lead these investigations. Up to date figures are available via the Police Scotland website.



Back to top