Integral Parts In Tackling Hate Crime
Hate crime legislation is only one part of the solution.
It is important to consider how we prevent hate crime
- Society needs to understand what hate crime is and why it’s not acceptable.
- People will feel safer and diversity will be accepted.
It is important to consider how people can be encouraged to report hate crime
- Unless hate crime is reported no legal remedy is possible and victims will not receive justice.
- Having clear and well implemented procedures in place will help to ensure that we recognise the harm caused to victims and communities.
It is important to consider how we respond to hate crime
- The criminal justice system needs effective legal principles supported by a coordinated framework of key partners.
- Having hate crime laws means that we can monitor trends and understand the scale of the problem.