Annex C. Interview Topic Guide, as submitted as part of the Evaluation’s NHS RINTAG application
Qualitative Interview Topic Guide
Questions guiding the Baseline Service Evaluation:
- What are NHS staff members’ views on, understanding and awareness of the new opt-out authorisation system?
- What are NHS staff’s views on the NHS organ and tissue donation system, and donation as part of end-of-life care?
- How can successful early identification and referral of potential donors, and successful authorisation processes best be supported? What supports a reduction in missed donation opportunities? What are barriers to the successful realisation of these aims?
- What are key areas that trainings should target to raise awareness and knowledge of, and support for tissue and organ donation, and opt-out authorisation among NHS staff?
Interview Questions Topic Guide
A. Introduction, overview of study, consenting:
- Thank you for seeing me today and offering to take part in this study.
- I would like first to outline the study so that you are able to decide whether you wish to proceed further (recap information sheet).
- Sign consent form × 2 (one for participant and information sheet, one for interviewer).
- (Topic List) I have a list of topics that I want to address, which will pertain to your perspectives on donation, donation processes, the change to an opt-out authorization system, and NHS staff trainings relating to this.
- Feel free to ask questions at any stage during the interview.
- I might make a few notes in case I want to come back to something later.
- Need to make sure it’s clear that your personal information will be kept confidential, only viewed by myself, and that data will de-identified to 4 geographical regions, and NHS role.
B. Interview Discussion:
1. Background information on the interviewee.
- Current and any prior relevant roles/responsibilities, training, duration in employment.
2. Views on, understanding and awareness of the new opt-out authorisation system
- What is your understanding of the new legislation, that will change donation authorisation from opt-in to opt-out?
3. Views on, and attitudes toward organ and tissue donation/donation system
- What are your views on donation and the current donation system?
- What do think works about the donation process well? What doesn’t?
- What supports successful authorisation processes?
- What supports a reduction in missed donation opportunities?
- What are barriers to these?
- What do think should be targeted in NHS staff trainings to make a change to opt-out authorisation system a success? To support overall donation rates?
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback