Scottish Government Action Plan on Funeral Poverty
Tackling funeral poverty is one strand of the Scottish Government's work to address the inequalities that exist in our society, as set out in the Fairer Scotland Action Plan  .
Ten actions that the Scottish Government will take to help tackle funeral poverty are set out in this Funeral Costs Plan. As we recognise that making progress will require action from organisations and individuals, as well as the Scottish Government, we have developed these actions working with others wherever we can.
1. We will launch the new Funeral Expense Assistance benefit by summer 2019
2. We will publish guidance on funeral costs by December 2018
3. We will support provision of more consistent advice on planning for a funeral, support at the point of bereavement and support after a funeral
4. We will publish and promote Planning Your Own Funeral to help people think about and record plans for their funeral
5. We will seek to strengthen consumer protection in relation to pre-paid funeral plans
6. We will support greater public and personal discussion of bereavement, death, dying and care at the end of life
7. We will make more people aware of the products credit unions offer, including those specifically for funerals
8. We will deliver a Social Innovation Fund to help social enterprises tackle poverty and disadvantage, including funeral poverty
9. We will provide more options to help people save for their funeral by piloting a Scottish funeral bond
10. We will improve the evidence base relating to funeral poverty to help us assess the effectiveness of our actions
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback