- 20 Dec 2021
Date received: 27 Oct 2021
Date responded: 24 Nov 2021
1. I note the NHS Recovery Plan states the government will increase the GP workforce by 800, from 2017 levels. Please could you confirm whether this is a whole time equivalent or headcount figure?
2. Please could you provide me with the most up to date breakdown the Scottish government has of the GP workforce, by whole time equivalent, in Scotland.
3. Please could you provide me with any briefings or reports provided to ministers on GP workforce issues in 2021. This includes retaining current GPs, recruiting new GPs, and any other workforce-related information. It would also include sections on GPs within wider documents on NHS workforce.
1. I can confirm that the 800 more GP target is headcount.
2. Please see the annually updated figures published by Public Health Scotland, usually in December: General Practice - GP Workforce and practice list sizes 2010 - 2020 - General Practice - GP workforce and practice list sizes - Publications - Public Health Scotland. Table 1 provides the annual time series. The GP numbers relate to 30 September each year. The commitment relates to the period 2017 to 2027.
3. Please find a link to the National Primary Care Workforce Plan - Part 3 that sets out in more detail how we will achieve our target of 800 more GPs by 2027.
The Scottish Government is committed to publishing all information released in response to Freedom of Information requests. View all FOI responses at http://www.gov.scot/foi-responses.
Please quote the FOI reference
Central Enquiry Unit
Phone: 0300 244 4000
The Scottish Government
St Andrews House