- 23 Feb 2021
Date received: 15 Dec 2020
Date responded: 8 Jan 2021
1) Estimated Scottish Government staff costs for the 2018-19 financial year as a result of pursuing the policy of full integration of the British Transport Police and Police Scotland.
2) Any other costs incurred by the Scottish Government as a result of pursuing this policy. Please exclude the 2017-18 staff costs from the Scottish Government.
1. While our aim is to provide information whenever possible, in this instance the Scottish Government does not hold some of the information you have requested. Section 17(1) of FOISA (information not held) requires the Scottish Government to notify you if it does not have the information you requested.
The 2018-19 Scottish Government staffing costs relating to the policy of full integration of the British Transport Police and Police Scotland were absorbed within overall Scottish Government resource planning. The Scottish Government regularly reprioritises staff in order to meet Programme for Government commitments. Additionally, staff are rarely assigned to one single project, meaning we are unable to calculate precise costs.
This is a formal notice under section 17(1) of FOISA that the Scottish Government does not have the information you have requested.
2. The answer to your question is, excluding staff costs, the total costs incurred by the Scottish Government from 2016-17 to 2018-19 related to the British Transport Police Integration Policy are £250,091. This includes the following:
- Professional Services costs - £111,225. A contractor was engaged to assist Scottish Government officials with planning, project and programme management. That contract concluded in November 2018. The total cost was £101,000 over two financial years. Also, £11,000 was spent on additional temporary staff during this time.
- Professional Advice - £116,204. Independent actuarial and legal advice to assess the viability of the pension proposal arrangements for existing police officers and staff.
- Running Costs - £22,662. Includes software licenses, IT/mobile costs, travel costs relate to BTP meetings held throughout UK, general costs and research and publication costs for the public consultation.
The Scottish Government is committed to publishing all information released in response to Freedom of Information requests. View all FOI responses at http://www.gov.scot/foi-responses.
Please quote the FOI reference
Central Enquiry Unit
Phone: 0300 244 4000
The Scottish Government
St Andrews House