- 7 Aug 2019
Date received: 17 Jul 2019
Date responded: 6 Aug 2019
- How much has been awarded to each local authority in total from all rounds of funding of the Local Authority Installation Programme?
- How many charging points have been installed in each local authority in total as a result of funding from the Local Authority Installation Programme?
- Details of how funding awards for each local authority are calculated at each funding round?
As the information you have requested is ‘environmental information’ for the purposes of the Environmental Information (Scotland) Regulations 2004 (EIRs), we are required to deal with your request under those Regulations. We are applying the exemption at section 39(2) of the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002 (FOISA), so that we do not also have to deal with your request under FOISA.
This exemption is subject to the ‘public interest test’. Therefore, taking account of all the circumstances of this case, we have considered if the public interest in disclosing the information outweighs the public interest in applying the exemption. We have found that, on balance, the public interest lies in favour of upholding the exemption, because there is no public interest in dealing with the same request under two different regimes. This is essentially a technical point and has no material effect on the outcome of your request.
Table 1, attached, details the total amount of funding awarded to each Local Authority through the Local Authority Installation Programme since its inception in financial year 2010/11. Table 1 also details the number of charging points installed in each local authority as a result of funding from the Local Authority Installation Programme.
Table 1 excludes a number of charge points that are awaiting commissioning and are yet to be fully integrated within the CPS back office.
Table 1 provides Local Authority Installation Programme funding and charge point data as of 15th July 2019.
Transport Scotland agreed a methodology with COSLA in financial year 2012/13 for calculating the allocation of grant funding for the Local Authority Installation Programme. This is fundamentally based on the population of each Local Authority area. In financial year 2016/17, it was agreed that the following criterion is also taken into consideration when allocating grant funding:
- ensure that all LAs receive some funding;
- that LAs with greater demand for EV charging receive larger grants;
- that requests for chargers for supporting LAs own EV fleets have been prioritised; and
- that areas where there is pressure on existing chargers are strengthened and gaps in the network through lower investment in previous years or wide geographical areas are filled.
The Scottish Government is committed to publishing all information released in response to Freedom of Information requests. View all FOI responses at http://www.gov.scot/foi-responses.
Please quote the FOI reference
Central Enquiry Unit
Phone: 0300 244 4000
The Scottish Government
St Andrews House