- 16 Jul 2019
Date received: 16 Jun 2019
Date responded: 16 Jul 2019
Further to my emails of 28 June 2019 and 15 July 2019, I have now completed my review of our response to your request under the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002 (FOISA) for the following information:
To request how many staff work in the Scottish Government on the:-
- Tobacco Control Team in 2019?
- Tobacco control Team in 2012 to 2018?
- To request how many staff working in the Scottish Government Tobacco Team in 2019 earn more than £20,000 per annum?
- To request how many staff working in the Scottish Government Tobacco Team in 2012 to 2019 earn more than £20,000 per annum?
- To request how many staff working in the Scottish Government Tobacco Team in 2019 earn less than £20,000 per annum?
- To request how many staff working in the Scottish Government Tobacco Team in 2012 to 2019 earn less than £20,000 per annum?
Tobacco Team Salaries
- To ask if any of the staff earning less than £20,000 per annum had their salaries reduced by £1,000 in the last two years?
- To ask if any of the staff earning more than £20,000 had their salaries increased by more than £5,000 in the last two years?
I have concluded that the decision should be confirmed but further clarification should also be provided. The Scottish Government’s HR Business Partners and Corporate Analytical Services colleagues have been able to supply salary scale information for the team in question. They have confirmed that neither staff grades nor pay tables are considered sensitive. The Scottish Government publishes policy documents relating to public sector pay as a matter of course, including on staff pay remits. Further information is available at the following web address:
There have been no reductions in the values of any of the pay steps; the only waysomeone would incur a reduction in salary is if they had changed their working pattern to reduce the hours they work, or if they were demoted. Salaries increase when the annual pay review is applied or by being promoted. No one has had their salary reduced by £1,000 or increased by £5,000 in the last two years.
Table 1. Grade structure of directly employed staff in the tobacco control team.
Table 2. Salary range for directly employed staff for the relevant grades as at the 31st of March for each of the relevant years.
The Scottish Government is committed to publishing all information released in response to Freedom of Information requests. View all FOI responses at http://www.gov.scot/foi-responses.
Please quote the FOI reference
Central Enquiry Unit
Phone: 0300 244 4000
The Scottish Government
St Andrews House