Date received: 23 November 2018
Date responded: 3 December 2018
You asked :
- What criteria is there for a course to be appropriate for SAAS funding?
- Is there funding for professions that do not follow the degree progression route? For example, Counselling requires a diploma to practice but not a degree.
- Who makes the decision on which courses can receive funding?
- How can people get involved in making change for a course to be recognised for funding?
- Information about course criteria and funding can be found on the SAAS website using the following links:
Under section 25(1) of FOISA, we do not have to provide you with information if it is already reasonably accessible to you. If, however, you do not have internet access to obtain this information from the SAAS website, then please contact me again and I will send you a paper copy.
2. The answer to your second question is that funding from SAAS is not based on ‘professions’ and whether or not that allows an individual to practice in a specific job. SAAS fund a number of qualifications above and below degree level which will allow individuals to seek employment in a specific profession, but we do not hold information on actual employability around each course we fund. The information at item 1 highlights the level of Higher Education qualifications that are supported by SAAS.
3. The answer to your third question is that Scottish Ministers determine the regulations on student support for Scottish domiciled students, including the types of qualifications that attract funding.
4. The last question does not relate to recorded information, therefore we will not respond under FOISA. However, in response to your final question the main way to seek change is to take this forward through democratic engagement with Scottish Government.
The Scottish Government is committed to publishing all information released in response to Freedom of Information requests. View all FOI responses at http://www.gov.scot/foi-responses
Please quote the FOI reference
Central Enquiry Unit
Phone: 0300 244 4000
The Scottish Government
St Andrew's House
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback