- 2 Nov 2018
Date received: 23 October 2018
Date responded: 31 October 2018
1. The following links to Education Scotland’s National Improvement Hub provide the information you requested. Reporting to Parents and Carers - Guidance for Schools and ELC settings (updated February 2018).
Annual reporting - advice and support for schools, working with parents and other
partners (updated April 2018).
The following extracts from page 5 of the report provides the information you requested above.
Inspectors noted that reporting to parents has been a specific cause of workload in schools. This issue was mentioned frequently in discussions with representatives of teachers’ professional associations and LNCTs (Local Negotiating Committees for Teachers) about working time agreements. To address this issue, around a third of local authorities have introduced new, less bureaucratic approaches to reporting to parents. Their aim is to reduce unnecessary workload, while still ensuring parents get the information they need.
Emerging best practice involves:
- more frequent, shorter reports to parents, rather than one big end-of-session report;
- more oral reporting to parents at meetings;
- involvement of children and young people in the reporting process; and
- increased use of e-communication and social media.
The Scottish Government is committed to publishing all information released in response to Freedom of Information requests. View all FOI responses at http://www.gov.scot/foi-responses
Please quote the FOI reference
Central Enquiry Unit
Phone: 0300 244 4000
The Scottish Government
St Andrew's House