- 5 Nov 2018
Date received: 4 October 2018
Date responded: 1 November 2018
1) Any emails, correspondence and any discussions in relation to mortalities and diseases of cleaner fish.
2) Any photos of dead & diseased cleaner fish.
3) Details of tonnages and quantities of dead cleaner fish.
4) Information on the disposal of dead cleaner fish.
5) What quantities of cleaner fish are disposed of via 'Category 3' waste (i.e. at the end of the harvesting cycle) and via 'Category 2' waste (i.e. diseased and disposed of before the end of the production cycle).
6) Any information on welfare concerns relating to cleaner fish.
We try hard to respond to EIR requests on time and by providing all relevant information (unless exceptions apply). Repeat requests for information can make our job in doing this more difficult, and while this request also covers information for 2018, in large part it is a repeat of your requests FoI/17/03056 and FoI/18/02310. It would be helpful if you could bear in mind information that you have already requested from us when submitting new requests and not submit repeat requests. Responses to both requests FoI/17/03056 and FoI/18/02310 are publicly available on the Scottish Government website:
With respect to the specific areas of this request, as relevant from 19 December 2017 onwards, and for photographs from 28 August 2018 onwards, I can confirm that, in relation to mortalities, welfare and diseases of cleaner fish:
- We hold no information relating to emails, correspondence and any discussions concerning mortalities and diseases of cleaner fish.
- We have no photographs of dead and diseased cleaner fish relating to Fish Health Inspectorate (FHI) case inspections (this part of the request has been restricted to FHI case inspections, for the reasons given to you detailed within communications relating to previous requests for photographs – including FoI/18/01141 and FoI/18/02310).
- We hold no information on the tonnages and quantities of dead cleaner fish or the disposal of dead cleaner fish and no information on the quantity disposed of by waste category.
- We hold no information on welfare concerns relating to cleaner fish.
In addition, the Scottish Government publishes a lot of information on the activities and responsibilities of the FHI on its website. The FHI Service Charter, https://www.gov.scot/Topics/marine/Fish-Shellfish/FHI/charter, will inform you about the areas within which the FHI have responsibility. Hopefully this is a useful resource for you to consider when formulating requests and considering the likelihood that the information you require will actually be held by us.
Of course there will always be information that you need that we do not publish, and information which you are unsure if we will hold or not. We are always happy to answer information requests, and I am trying here to help you to ask us questions that get you what you need, quickly.
The Scottish Government is committed to publishing all information released in response to Freedom of Information requests. View all FOI responses at http://www.gov.scot/foi-responses
Please quote the FOI reference
Central Enquiry Unit
Phone: 0300 244 4000
The Scottish Government
St Andrew's House