Appendix 1: Organisational Footprint
- Action Fraud is the UK's national fraud and internet crime reporting centre.
Age Scotland (UK)
- Age Scotland is the leading charity representing older people in Scotland and supporting their rights and interests. They provide information and run awareness campaigns on the issue.
- The leading dementia organisation in Scotland. They campaign for the rights of people with dementia and their families and provide an extensive range of innovative and personalised support services. They offer advice and run campaigns in relation to scams as it impacts on individuals.
British Retail Consortium (BRC)
- The BRC is the lead trade association representing the whole range of retailers, from the large multiples and department stores through to independents. The provide research and advice to their membership.
Cheque & Credit Clearing Company (C&CCC)
- The industry body that manages the cheque clearing system in Great Britain, including the processing of bankers' drafts, building society cheques, postal orders, warrants and government payable orders.
- Cifas is a not-for-profit company working to protect businesses, charities, public bodies and individuals from financial crime.
Citizens Advice [and CA Scotland]
- Online free advice from Citizens Advice to help you find a way forward, whatever the problem.
- An independent UK-wide charity working to stop crime. Currently working with Post Office Limited to prevent elderly victims from being conned like this
Direct Marketing Association
- Membership organisation with a network of more than 1,000 UK companies. They provide industry best-practice guidelines, legal updates and a code that puts the customer at the heart. We represent a data-driven industry that's leading the business sector in creativity and innovation.
Financial Conduct Authority
- FCA is the conduct regulator for 56000 financial services firms and financial markets in the UK and the prudential regulator for over 24000 of those firms. Provide protection in relation to bank accounts to mortgages, credit cards, loans, savings and pensions.
Financial Ombudsman Service
- The official independent expert in settling complaints between consumers and businesses providing financial services.
Financial Fraud Action UK
- A constituent part of UK Finance, responsible for leading the collective fight against financial fraud on behalf of the UK payments industry. Membership includes banks, credit, debit and charge card issuers, and card payment acquirers in the UK.
Fraud Advisory Panel
- The FAP is an independent voice of the anti-fraud community. They champion best practice in fraud prevention, detection, investigation and prosecution. Membership includes public, private and third sectors.
Fraud Defence Test
- An online quiz that can be used to assess your vulnerability to becoming a victim of fraud and cyber-crime and steps you can take to better protect yourself.
Friends Against Scams
- A National Trading Standards Scams Team initiative that aims to protect and prevent people from becoming victims of scams by empowering communities to... 'Take a Stand Against Scams.'
Get Safe Online
- A joint initiative between the Government, law enforcement, leading businesses and the public sector. The aim is to provide computer users and small businesses with free, independent, user-friendly advice that will allow them to use the internet confidently, safely and securely.
- The Home Office is the lead government department for immigration and passports, drugs policy, counter-terrorism and police.
Insurance Fraud Bureau
- The IFB is a not for profit organisation funded by the insurance industry, specifically focussed on detecting and preventing organised and cross industry insurance fraud.
Money Advice Service
- The Money Advice Service helps people manage their money. They do this directly through their own free and impartial advice service. They also work in partnership with other organisations to help people make the most of their money. They are an independent service, set up by government.
National Crime Agency
- National body dealing with serious and organised crime, plus computer crime.
National Trading Standards Scams Team
- Helps tackle mass marketing scams and disrupts the operations of perpetrators behind mail scams. It works in partnership with agencies across the country to identify and support victims of mass marketing fraud.
- TPR is the UK regulator of workplace pension schemes. They work with pension scheme trustees, scheme managers and employers to help protect workplace pensions.
- Reporting scam mail - Potentially fraudulent mail should be reported to Royal Mail:
- SAFERjobs (Safe Advice for Employment and Recruitment) is a non-profit, joint industry and law enforcement organisation created in 2010 to raise awareness and combat criminal activities that may be attempted on those seeking a job, or through the services provided by the recruitment industry.
- ScamSmart gives consumers tips on how to spot and protect themselves from investment fraud, and hosts the FCA Warning List.
Scottish Business Resilience Centre
- The Scottish Business Crime Centre is a non-profit making organisation created in 1996 under the Business Crime Reduction Strategy for Scotland, to establish a unique partnership approach between the police, business community and Government.
Telecommunications UK Fraud Forum
- A forum for the exchange of information and the promotion of a united effort against telecommunications fraud.
Trading Standards Scotland
- Operationally, TSS has a duty to coordinate and enforce cross boundary and national casework as well as undertake the specialist functions of tackling illegal money lending and ecrime. It is a resource intended to add capacity to local authority trading standards teams in these areas of activity.
The Scottish Police Authority
- The Scottish Police Authority (SPA) is a public body of the Scottish Government which holds Police Scotland, the national police service, to account.
- UK Finance is a new trade association which was formed on 1 July 2017 to represent around 300 firms in the UK providing credit, banking, markets and payment-related services. The new organisation brings together most of the activities previously carried out by the Asset Based Finance Association, the British Bankers' Association, the Council of Mortgage Lenders, Financial Fraud Action UK, Payments UK and the UK Cards Association.
- Which? has more than 1.5m members and supporters, making it the largest independent consumer body in the UK. It supports consumers and campaign on more to be done to reduce incidence of scams
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback