Domestic abuse: statistics recorded by the police in Scotland - 2016/17
Characteristics of victims and perpetrators of domestic abuse incidents recorded by the police in Scotland.
This document is part of a collection
- In 2016-17 there were 58,810 incidents of domestic abuse recorded by the police in Scotland, an increase of 1% from 2015-16. Levels of domestic abuse recorded by the police have remained relatively stable since 2011-12 at around 58,000 to 60,000 incidents a year.
- In 2016-17, 47% of incidents of domestic abuse recorded by the police in Scotland included the recording of at least one crime or offence.
- Common assault was the most common crime or offence recorded as part of a domestic abuse incident in 2016-17, being recorded in 37% of incidents that included a crime or offence being recorded. This was followed by Breach of the peace etc. which was recorded in 33% of such incidents.
- There were 109 incidents of domestic abuse recorded by the police in Scotland per 10,000 population in 2016-17. At a local authority level, West Dunbartonshire (155) and Dundee City (153) recorded the highest incident rates per 10,000 population. The Orkney Islands (47) and Shetland Islands (50) recorded the lowest rates per 10,000 population.
- Where gender information was recorded, 79% of all incidents of domestic abuse in 2016-17 had a female victim and a male accused (the same as in 2015-16). Looking over the longer term this percentage share has fallen from 85% in 2007-08.
- The proportion of incidents with a male victim and a female accused (where gender was recorded) was 18% in 2016-17 (the same as in 2015-16). Over the longer term this percentage share has risen from 13% in 2007-08.
- In 2016-17, the 26-30 years old age group had the highest incident rate for both victims (274 incidents recorded per 10,000 population) and those accused (265 incidents recorded per 10,000 population).
- Incidents of domestic abuse recorded were more common at weekends with 36% of all incidents in 2016-17 occurring on a Saturday or Sunday.
- In 2016-17, 88% of all domestic abuse incidents occurred in a home or dwelling.
Email: Mark Bell
Phone: 0300 244 4000 – Central Enquiry Unit
The Scottish Government
St Andrew's House
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback