This consultation invites stakeholders to respond to a range of proposed updates to The Water Environment (Controlled Activities) (Scotland) Regulations 2011 (“CAR”). This consultation serves several purposes:
- Proposed consolidation of The (Control of Pollution) (Silage, Slurry and Agricultural Fuel Oil) (Scotland) Regulations 2003 into CAR as a set of general binding rules,
- Modernisation of those provisions to take account of recent changes in land use practice; and
- Miscellaneous revisions to various existing general binding rules within Schedule 3 of CAR.
The consultation proposals are in 2 parts.
Part 1 presents proposed updates to controls over the storage and application of organic materials, with the following key aims:
- to update existing controls for the storage of slurry and silage;
- to introduce controls over the storage of materials associated with energy production;
- to propose new requirements regarding more targeted and efficient application of slurry and liquid digestate.
Part 2 contains the proposals for minor revisions to various existing GBRs in the interests of clarity and transparency.
We welcome your views on the proposed legislation as outlined in this consultation.