Data collection and publication - religion/belief: guidance
Guidance for public bodies on the collection of data on religion/belief.
The Scottish Government recommends the following question on religion is used in order to harmonise with other data sources in Scotland:
Question: What religion, religious denomination or body do you belong to?
- 1. None
- 2. Church of Scotland
- 3. Roman Catholic
- 4. Other Christian, please write in
- 5. Muslim, write in denomination or school
- 6. Hindu
- 7. Buddhist
- 8. Sikh
- 9. Jewish
- 10. Pagan
- 11. Another religion or body, please write in
- 12. Refusal (spontaneous only)
- 13. Prefer not to say (non-interviewer led questionnaires only)
The wording of the question is the same as that used in the 2022, 2011 and 2001 Censuses, in which this question is voluntary.
Example question on religious practice
If further information on religious practice is required a follow on question about practice can be used, such as:
Question: Do you consider that you are actively practising your religion?
- 1. Yes
- 2. No
- 3. Refusal (spontaneous only)
- 4. Prefer not to say (non-interviewer led questionnaires only)
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback