7 Support Available
This section set out:
- Support available through CARES
- Signpost to other relevant organisations
7.1 Support Available
Support is available through the Scottish Government’s CARES programme, delivered by Local Energy Scotland, to help a community to engage with a renewable energy business to discuss the community benefit package.
Local Energy Scotland will guide both the renewable energy business and community through the process from beginning to end, including (if necessary) acting as an independent facilitator to help progress.
The first line of support will come from a Local Development Officer. Referrals to other agencies and support mechanisms will be suggested as part of this service.
A key issue for a community is to consider its capacity (skills and expertise) to support and manage the process. This will be different for each community - for example, some may have paid development staff, while others will be reliant solely on volunteers.
However, irrespective of the level of capacity within a community, Local Energy Scotland will assess a community’s overall requirement, and in discussion with the community, outline what CARES support is available as well as signposting to other organisations who may be able to assist. The support available falls into the following broad categories and the diagram below summarises the key elements:
- Professional Services
- Online Tools and Resources
There are a number of other organisations which can provide help and assistance. Contact details for the main ones are:
Scottish Enterprise deliver the Energy Investment Fund (EIF)
- The EIF team offers a range of financial solutions to facilitate communities’ aspirations to secure stakes in shared ownership projects.
- EIF works closely with all stakeholders following planning approval to maintain open discussions to smooth the progress of the project through to successful completion.
- Find out more by contacting Scottish Investment Bank on 0845 607 8787
Highlands and Islands Enterprise (HIE)
- HIE also provide support specifically to local energy projects through their Energy Team and Strengthening Communities team as well as account management for communities in fragile areas.
- Further information on the support HIE can provide is available here:
Other organisations supporting communities to move forward and understand investing in renewables and what to do with the income generated include:
- Development Trusts Association Scotland
Tel: 0131 220 2456
- Community Shares Scotland
T: 0131 220 3777
- Foundation Scotland
Tel: 0131 524 0300
- Social Investment Scotland
0131 558 7706
There is also the South of Scotland Enterprise Agency under development which will provide economic support to communities and businesses operating in the Scottish Borders and Dumfries and Galloway. This document will be revised to include details when operational.
Local Energy Scotland website
More detailed information, material and relevant links are available at www.localenergyscotland.org/sharedownershipsupport
Email: Lorne Frew
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback