5. By children we mean children or adopted children of the deceased but not step children
6. https://www.scotlandscensus.gov.uk/, Table DC1107SC - Marital and civil partnership status by sex by age, Table DC1114SC - Dependent children by family type
7. For the purposes of this paper, a traditional family refers to a couple in a marriage [or civil partnership] living with their biological children as a family.
8. http://www.scotlawcom.gov.uk/files/7112/7989/7451/rep215.pdf at paragraph 2.30
9. Extract from the Manifesto Commitment
10. Reid, D. (2008) From the cradle to the grave: politics, families and inheritance law. Edinburgh Law Review, 12 (3). pp. 391-417.
11.  CSOH 82, 2007 SCLR 18.
12. British Institute of International and Comparative Law. "Intestate Succession in British Columbia and Washington State. February 2018. https://www2.gov.scot/Resource/0054/00543273.pdf
13. Morton Fraser - A guide to matrimonial law in Scotland for family lawyers in England and Wales, Rhona Adams and Fiona Sasan, 14 April 2014
14. The Scottish Dimension, Scottish divorce law: what are the lessons?, Cambridge Family Law Practice - 1 January 2013.
16. Built to Last: The Family Law (Scotland) Act 1985 - 30 years of financial provision on divorce. J Mair, E Mordaunt & F Wasoff
17. Ibid Page 183.
18. Ibid Page 182
19. A Cautionary Tale for Step-Parents and Step-Children. Professor Jonnette Watson Hamilton, Faculty of Law, University of Calgary. Posted on 5 May 2015.
20. Peters Estate (Re) 2015 ABQB 168 Can LII
21. Peters v Peters Estate, 2015 ABCA 301
22. Op Cit Page 8
23. Delegated Powers and Law Reform Committee - Stage 1 Report on the Succession (Scotland) Bill, 64th Report, 2015 (Session 4) http://www.parliament.scot/S4_SubordinateLegislationCommittee/Reports/DPLRS042015R64.pdf
24. https://www.scotlandscensus.gov.uk/ Table DC1107SC - Marital and civil partnership status by sex by age, Table DC1114SC - Dependent children by family type
26. Domestic partnerships were introduced to allow couples who meet the criteria to register their relationship and as a consequence not prejudice their pension or benefit rights.
27. Op Cit. page 11
28. Op Cit. page 3
29. Consultation on the law of Succession, June 2015, Scottish Government, Chapter 4
30. Intestacy and Family Provision Claims on Death, (Law Com No. 331), 13 December 2011
31. Ibid Page 160.
32. Comparative Succession Law Volume II, Intestate Succession ed. KGC Reid, MJ De Wall & R Zimmermann, Oxford University Press 2015.
34. Report on Succession (Scot Law Com No 215) 2009
35. Scottish Law Commission Report on Succession (Scot Law Com No 124) 1990
36. G L Gretton, "Vesting, Equitable Compensation and the Mysteries of the Shadow Liferent" 1988 SLT (News) 149, 151
37. Currie on Confirmation of Executors W.Green/Sweet & Maxwell
38. Hunters Executors, Petitioners 1992 SLT 1141
39. Currie on Confirmation of Executors - Op Cit.
40. Joseph Jaconelli (2012). Wills as Public Documents - Privacy and Property Rights. The Cambridge Law Journal, 71 pp 147-171.
Email: Frances MacQueen email@example.com