4. It should be noted that the Islands (Scotland) Bill which is currently going through Parliament will, if passed, allow for electoral wards of 1 or 2 councillors to be created covering populated islands. Similarly, elsewhere in this Consultation paper we are seeking views on the option for allowing wards of 5 councillors.
5. As amended by The Scottish Local Government Elections Amendment (No. 2) Order 2016.
6. 'Single Transferable Vote'
7. Those Commonwealth citizens who have the right to enter and remain in the UK.
8. The 1992 Maastricht Treaty imposed reciprocity inside the European Union concerning voting rights in local elections. This already existed for European elections.
9. Arrangements for elections to the Scottish Parliament were devolved to the Scottish Parliament and Ministers by the Scotland Act 2016.
10. Details of the Committee of Ministers' decision can be found at: https://search.coe.int/cm/Pages/result_details.aspx?ObjectID=090000168076d59d