Click 'Accept all cookies' to agree to all cookies that collect anonymous data.
To only allow the cookies that make the site work, click 'Use essential cookies only.' Visit 'Set cookie preferences' to control specific cookies.
1. This Construction Policy Note (CPN) draws attention to the publication of Chapter 3 of the Construction Phase Handbook, which provides an overview of the client’s role in achieving quality, particularly during the construction phase.
2. New guidance is available, as part of the Construction Phase Handbook, to assist contracting authorities to successfully deliver quality outputs and outcomes in construction projects. This guidance can be accessed here.
3. This note is intended for all those contracting authority staff involved in the planning and delivery of public works projects. It is applicable guidance under the Scottish Public Finance Manual.
Outline of guidance
4. Our guidance, the client guide to construction contracts, consists of three handbooks. Handbook 1: Project Initiation and Business Cases, Handbook 2: Construction Procurement and Handbook 3, which provides guidance on the construction phase. This new chapter, which forms part of Handbook 3, focuses on the assurance of quality throughout the project and provides guidance on the roles, responsibilities and processes for its delivery.
5. Please bring this construction policy note to the attention of all those staff involved in the procurement or delivery of construction activities.