Certificate of appropriate alternative development appeals: form and guidance

How to make a certificate of appropriate alternative development planning appeal.

This document is part of a collection

You have the right to make a certificate of appropriate alternative development appeal to Scottish Ministers where:

  • you are/were a person with an interest in the land acquired, or being acquired (normally the owner/ex owner)
  • you are/were the acquiring authority for the land in question

And where the planning authority:

  • has issued a certificate you do not agree with
  • has not issued a certificate within the timescale set on an application for such made by yourself

The attached guidance explains:

  • what the appeals process is
  • how to complete and submit your form
  • how to get in touch
  • how to submit documents electronically

Your appeal must be made within one month of the date of receipt of the certificate. Or within one month of the date the certificate should have been issued. You must also send copies of the appeal to the other party involved in the land aquisition and the planning authority.


There is no fee for this type of appeal. Everybody who participates in the process is normally expected to cover their own expenses.

This appeal can also be made using the ePlanning portal.

More information

This form and guidance relates to appeals made under:

A guide to planning appeals explains what can be appealed to ministers and provides context for our appeals forms.

Appeal Form - AAC.pdf
Appeal Notes for appellants - AAC.pdf
Electronic best practice.pdf


If you take part in the appeals process, use DPEA websites, contact the division or attend a webcast, the DPEA may collect certain information about you. To find out more about what information is collected, how the information is used and managed please read the DPEA's privacy notice

DPEA Twitter Feed

Email: DPEA@gov.scot

Telephone: 0300 244 6668

Planning and Environmental Appeals Division
Hadrian House
Callendar Business Park

Back to top