BICS weighted Scotland estimates: data to wave 59
Business Insights and Conditions Survey (BICS) weighted Scotland estimates containing data to wave 59.
This document is part of a collection
This is the 45th publication of weighted Scotland estimates from the ONS’ BICS. These are experimental statistics, which means that they are still in development but have been released to enable their use at an early stage. All results are provisional and subject to revision.
Latest main findings for businesses with 10+ employees and a presence in Scotland
- in the period 13 June to 26 June 2022 (Wave 59), the share of businesses ‘currently trading’ was estimated at 98.5%, broadly in line with the previous period (30 May to 12 June 2022)
- in the period 13 June to 26 June 2022, the share of businesses reporting that they were fully trading was estimated at 95.5%. The Accommodation & Food Services continued to be the industry sector had with the lowest share of “fully trading” businesses, estimated at 84.6%
- in May 2022, 67.2% of the workforce were estimated to be working from a designated workspace, 22.6% to be using a hybrid model of working and 5.8% working from home
- in Wave 59, 56.7% of currently trading businesses reported that the prices of materials, goods or services bought in May 2022 had increased from the previous calendar month. In contrast, only 26.6% of businesses currently trading reported that they had increased the price of goods or services sold
- around three quarters (75.3%) of businesses not permanently stopped trading reported that they had been affected by general price increases in some way; the top three impacts reported by businesses were having to absorb costs (58.0%), passing on price increases to customers (37.9%) and having to change suppliers (15.9%)
- around one third (32.5%) of businesses not permanently stopped trading reported that they were expecting to increase prices in July 2022. The top three factors reported by businesses for these expected price increases were energy prices (48.3%), raw material prices (36.5%) and labour costs (34.8%)
Note that BICS Weighted Scotland Estimates for Wave 60 and Wave 61 are scheduled for release on Friday 5th August 2022.
For enquiries about this publication please contact:
Business & Innovation Statistics
Office of the Chief Economic Adviser
e-mail: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
For general enquiries about Scottish Government statistics please contact:
Office of the Chief Statistician
Telephone: 0131 244 0442
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback