Annex 2: The terms of reference for the UKSTSG
The UK Shape of Training Steering Group
Terms of Reference and Membership
1. To oversee implementation activities arising from the Shape of Training (Greenaway Report) on the future structure of UK Medical Training, providing advice and recommendations to UK Ministers as necessary.
Terms of Reference
2. The Group's remit will be to:
- consider the implications arising from the Shape of Training report and to report the outcome of deliberations to Ministers
- develop a Policy and structure for implementation (in full or in part) of the recommendations within the report.
- seek approval from Ministers to proceed with Policy and to commission workstreams
- provide oversight, coordination & direction to any Policy for implementation
- identify work to be undertaken in order to deliver any agreed policy and commission relevant bodies to take forward where appropriate
- monitor progress by receiving progress reports from work streams/stakeholder groups, identifying both opportunities and risks which may have an impact on services or patients
- keep under review its membership
- report progress to Ministers as required
3. The Steering group will be Chaired by Prof. Ian Finlay, Senior Medical Officer, Scottish Government, and administratively supported by the Scottish Government's Health Workforce Directorate. Membership will consist of representatives from the following organisations (with future membership to be reviewed as required).
- the 4 UK Departments of Health
- Health Education England ( HEE)
- National Education Scotland ( NES)
- Wales Deanery
- Northern Ireland Deanery
- the Academy of Medical Royal Colleges
- the Academy of Medical Royal Colleges Trainee group
- the BMA UK
- the General Medical Council
- the Medical Schools Council
- Chair of COPMED
- NHS Employers
- Patient Forum
4. Representatives will be able to nominate substitutes, and shall inform the Scottish Government's Health Workforce Directorate of said individuals at least 24 hours in advance of each meeting.
5. The Steering group operates under the direction of the 4 UK Health Ministers, and will report its views and considerations to the 4 UK Health Ministers as required throughout the period of implementation activity, the initial phase of which was outlined in the statement from the group issued on 17 February 2015.
6. Recognising the current Ministerial commitments to collaborate on matters impacting on medical education and training policies which have UK-wide implications, the Steering group reports to the Medical Education UK Reference Group, whose role is to facilitate liaison between the four UK Health Departments.
7. Meetings will be held quarterly and, for expediency and where possible, meetings will be linked to meetings of the Medical Education UK Reference Group. Succinct Notes of meetings will be taken, and these and any papers for consideration should be circulated at least one working week in advance of each meeting.
Email: Dave McLeod, Dave.McLeod@gov.scot
Phone: 0300 244 4000 – Central Enquiry Unit
The Scottish Government
St Andrew's House